Discuss Avoiding wires when drilling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mcoc1981

DIY
Reaction score
Looking a bit of advice please, in case it’s something simple. I would like to drill a hole through an internal wall (about 10 inches thick) to feed the broadband cable from my hallway into another room, so the hub can sit there. My concern is drilling into an electrical wire, and I’m wondering whether, before I look into buying a wire detector device, is it possible to tell from the pictures below the likelihood of a wire being in the wall?

First picture is the hallway. There’s an electrical box on the left, and the broadband/phone box along the bottom. The other picture is the other side. I’m sure there’s wires in there somewhere given there’s a box and a light switch in the other room, but just looking at these pics, is there a spot I could drill through and be safe? or is it a case of just being safe and buying a piece of kit!

thanks in advance

Attachments

• Avoiding wires when drilling 5C83165E-03DB-43ED-9DE7-4561EF30DAEC - EletriciansForums.net
    5C83165E-03DB-43ED-9DE7-4561EF30DAEC.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Avoiding wires when drilling 57D5A5E6-BA7D-45A5-B8D4-FAE40343FC75 - EletriciansForums.net
    57D5A5E6-BA7D-45A5-B8D4-FAE40343FC75.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 55
Looking at the pic you have put on on, the right hand side of the modom I would driil.
Considering it should be OK, but with out a metal detector I would be advisable.
Thanks for responding. If I drilled to the right of the modem box, that would be vertically in line with the light switch on the other side. Could the wire for that switch be passing there? Or would it come down from the ceiling?

Most likely the light switch cable goes up, not down.

If you turn the power off you can remove the switch from the wall.
Undo the two screws, without disconnecting any cables pull switch carefully away from the wall by a few inches.

You can then see what direction the cables go

I would open the cupboard and check if you can see any cables coming to the consumer unit or whatever else is in the cupboard. If it looks clear then I'd try drill in the bottom left corner

I would open the cupboard and check if you can see any cables coming to the consumer unit or whatever else is in the cupboard. If it looks clear then I'd try drill in the bottom left corner

Do you mean drill through the left side in here?maybe above that small white box which is the meter reader?
[automerge]1600322902[/automerge]
Most likely the light switch cable goes up, not down.

If you turn the power off you can remove the switch from the wall.
Undo the two screws, without disconnecting any cables pull switch carefully away from the wall by a few inches.

You can then see what direction the cables go
ill check this out, thanks!

Attachments

• Avoiding wires when drilling C468EFE9-DA55-4A38-9205-D5336244B41C - EletriciansForums.net
    C468EFE9-DA55-4A38-9205-D5336244B41C.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Seeing the picture you just posted it would probably best to avoid drilling in the cupboard.

Another choice would be to open the BT phone socket and drill directly behind it to come out the other side of the wall.

It looks like you've already got some sort of phone socket/extension being run in trunking

Looking at it and thinking again,
I would be concerned that there could be wires hidden behind any area of that wall

I expect it is not a brick wall, so I would start by cutting carefully with a pad saw to make a hole for a dry line box.
You can then look in and check for cables that may well be half way through the cavity space.

Poke or drill a small hole when sure there are no cables in the way and then repeat on the other side.

Use blank plates to cover holes after.
Then when new modem etc is installed later it is easy to pass new cables through the hole.

Reply to Avoiding wires when drilling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock