Discuss Awkward Customer. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
So I have a full rewire to do asap but customer is trying to live in upstairs of house while myself and builders are going to try ripping out and rewiring entire place, chasing in extras at same time but she doesn't want ceilings down to gain access to joists ! or many floorboards upstairs pulled up either so going to be a nightmare. Also after changing her mind on accessories 3-4 times now from plastic to black nickel screwless flat plate due to cost and fact she couldn't find black nickel LED downlights to match ! she went for brushed steel but after ordering she decided NO again due to being £1,100 just for the sockets, switches etc.. so now she says to builder my sister lives in Wales I'll get her off to screwfix for steel sockets £24 for 5 of them !

I told builder to tell her based on what I've heard and read reviews on the cheap crap that if they're fitted and test o.k. but subsequently go the way of the pear that she will then need to buy again proper kit and at extra fitting cost too. Any thoughts on quality of that cheap stuff ? and am also trying to ascertain any liability for if the items go wrong when I connected it all up ! Thanks.

Tell her to go live with her sister while the job's done. And accept no liability for accessories she supplies.
I don't know if you've started and work yet, but I would run away.

as my multi meter had packed up I grabbed one of their LAP ones as i was passing a screwfix. it only made it out of the packaging before I realised my mistake. it might work, but for how long. it just felt as cheap as it was. leads were short and rather inflexible, dial felt clunky, no back light for the screen and it was just too light. now I just have to think of an excuse to return it. buy cheap buy twice I guess.

Had no problem with any LAP or BG equipment from Screwfix and have fitted loads of it. I have never had anything fail either! I know everyone loves to knock it but personally I have never had an issue.

as my multi meter had packed up I grabbed one of their LAP ones as i was passing a screwfix. it only made it out of the packaging before I realised my mistake. it might work, but for how long. it just felt as cheap as it was. leads were short and rather inflexible, dial felt clunky, no back light for the screen and it was just too light. now I just have to think of an excuse to return it. buy cheap buy twice I guess.

The beauty of Screwfix, you don't need a reason to return, just take it back within 30 days.

fitted a few LAP accessories also. found them to be OK. though notas well made as BG or Click.

Cheap accessories, wants what she can't afford, living upstairs, doesn't want ceilings down or boards up. Add a builder into the mix and it all sounds like the sort of job I'd walk away from!

Good luck

offer her the option of floorboards up or surface trunking. then see what she says. i did a job a while back where the tiled bathroom floor was directly above the main sitting room. cables were all clipped around below ceiling and chased down. then coving fitted.dog's bollox.

some brushed flat plate from screwfix once appeared as bg nexus, quite nice actually. they have reviews for the products as well worth reading.

Have been asked to fit LAP flat plate sockets need a 35mm box at minimum or it wont fit. I gave up and told the customer they had to head in a different direction, all worked out O.K.

Some of the LAP stuff from Screwfix is pretty poor, their plastic back boxes are absolute sh*te, you try and remove the knockouts and the whole box splits in half. The only way I could use them was to prime them with a junior hacksaw first.

I tend to stay well clear of LAP, BG seems to be a step up and pretty reasonable for the price.

I think the lap stuff is okay.
How exactly does the customer expect you to rewire the house without any disruption? It just dosent make any sense. Sometimes you've got to stand up for yourself and tell people the truth, even if it's not what they want to hear.
Good luck, I think you will need it!!

Reply to Awkward Customer. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net