• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Aye or Naw? Trimming RCBO Leads in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MFS Electrical

Forum Mentor
I was always taught never to trim RCBO leads. I noticed on another thread the other day/earlier on that someone said they did.
What’s the general consensus on the subject? The reasons explained to me as to why we shouldn’t cut them were the RCBO was calibrated with that length of cable on so it shouldn’t be changed (I suspect this is a load of crap) and because it’s flexible cable and terminated with a ferrule or tinned it shouldnt be cut because it would make the connection worse. To this day I’ve never chopped one RCBO lead. I just usually loose the extra length neatly inside the enclosure. Obviously if the Manufacturers instructions say don’t cut then we shouldnt be cutting them, end of.
Thoughts?

MFS Electrical

Forum Mentor
Bootlace ferrules. Either French or German.
So far it Looks like it’s time for some new toys :D

I’ve never actually paid much attention to the leads but do you tend to find that specific manufacturers standardise across the range and make them all the same CSA or vary it depending on the rating?

Matthewd29

Regular EF Member
I used to but was told it shouldn't be done so now I don't. Absolutely no logic behind it admittedly but I don't. As above could be am excuse to buy a nice new ferrule crimper

Matthewd29

Regular EF Member
Looks good actually I like knipex but it is a ridiculous price so this could be the one. What is all this French and German colour scheme I thought we were meant to be 'harmonised colours' so we'd be the same as them

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.