Discuss Back box size for sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Beeg

-
DIY
Reaction score
Afternoon one and all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with fitting chrome 2 gang sockets to 25mm back boxes.

I bought a pack of 5 LAP chrome double sockets from screwfix but noticed that the listing online says a 35mm back box is required.
I have measured mine and they are only 25mm :(
I had another look on the website and some of the sockets they sell say a 25mm back box is required. Weirdly though the sockets seem to be identical except from being a different colour (brushed stainless instead of polished chrome).
Should I disregard what it says on the screwfix website and just see if the sockets fit my back boxes?
Is there any risk to using a 25mm back box such as poor heat dissipation?

Thanks

Regards
Beeg

If the recommendation is 35mm back boxes, best get some, they are not that expensive after all.

If the recommendation is 35mm back boxes, best get some, they are not that expensive after all.
Thanks Pete 999, it just seems a little strange that the same product in a different colour only requires 25mm back boxes o_O

you may find that the ones that require 35mm boxes are them 'orrible flat plate jobbies or them with usb sockets. most "normal" faceplates will fit on 25mm boxes, depending on how long you trim the tails of the cables.

just the hammer damaged knuckle repairs due to chopping out that extra 10mm. fit BG for an easier life.

you may find that the ones that require 35mm boxes are them 'orrible flat plate jobbies or them with usb sockets. most "normal" faceplates will fit on 25mm boxes, depending on how long you trim the tails of the cables.
Oddly enough one of the ones that says 25mm is a flat profile and yet some of the 35mm ones are the more conventional sockets.

Come on Tel simple job for a sparky.
yeah, with a 110V sds and scutch chisel. i gave up the lump hammer and bolster chisel some time ago when i'd passed 65.

Don’t believe everything you see on the Screwfix website.
The actual size of Back box required should be in the instructions for the socket in question.
Go to the manufacturers website and check against there own part number.

just waiting for a sarky comment from SWD regarding nicking the metal faceplates for scrap.bloody anti-scouse git, he is. :D:D:D:D:D:D

The actual size of Back box required should be in the instructions for the socket in question.
too sensible for a drunken sunday afternoon. get a grip(on your favorite booze bottle). :p:p:p:p:p.

Sory, just noticed that the manufacturer is lap.
Please feel free to rate previous message as DUMB!

Just had another look and found some British General ones as suggested Telectrix. Slightly dearer but look very good quality and all BG range seem to only require 25mm back box :)

Has anyone ever bought sockets from an online supplier such as electricalcounter.co.uk?

Much cheaper than high street retailers and although reviews seem good, I’m a little reluctant incase they’re not genuine products but are cheap copies....

If you look at the Lap and BG ones they are very similar. I'm thinking they are from the same factory. Both at the budget end of things and not great quality at all.

If you look at the Lap and BG ones they are very similar. I'm thinking they are from the same factory. Both at the budget end of things and not great quality at all.
i disagrree. fitted loads of BG accessories and CUs. never had any problems apart from occasionally BG CU lids are a bit iffy to fit. if the din rail is slightly out on it's mount.

i disagrree. fitted loads of BG accessories and CUs. never had any problems apart from occasionally BG CU lids are a bit iffy to fit. if the din rail is slightly out on it's mount.

I respectfully disagree with that :D
Every time I tried a BG CU I had problems and faulty components. After half a dozen tries I gave up. Just my personal experience, which is all I can go on .

The BG decorative accessories are much better than their CUs for sure, I used to fit their chrome sockets frequently. After some bad experiences with the poor quality of their grid gear though I tried elsewhere and found Click and Hager to produce much better decorative ranges with the quality consistent over the entire range.

This made me look at the quality of the sockets and switches in the nexus decorative range and realise it's not so great after all.

When I used to do the new houses 25mm boxes was the standard fit with dit and dab walls. Only if a customer wanted flat plat we chopped in deeper 35mm boxes. Just on a one-off small new build and used 25mm boxes for sockets and used BG brushed chrome for the first time and it fitted fine.

BG decorative switches are rubbish.....They have the worst terminals going. They just want to push the cores out as your doing them up.

Reply to Back box size for sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net