Discuss Back Boxes for 57.5mm Dab n Dot Insulated Plaster Board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

About to begin my first fix rewire. Due to regs, and the house being a 1908 solid wall construction, I need to include 57.5mm Kingspan to all external walls. To try and save some room, I will be Dab and Dotting the plaster board to the exposed brick. I will be installing the plasterboard myself, but will have a plasterer to do a final skim coat.
Now i have read mixed things regarding which back boxes to use for this.
I understand the I can still use metal boxes, but this will require an offset using some wood or the sorts to bring the box flush, but this seem very time consuming for every single external wall socket (roughly 20 sockets).
Now, again, mixed reviews on plastic back boxes. A lot of people saying they are great and work perfect for this sort of job, but may require some PVC piping to avoid contact with the insulation? Other people saying they are rubbish and not worth using. Why is this?

Any help on this would be great!

I don't think plastic boxes will work with dot dab. Use conventional metal boxes. Can't see why that will be a problem. Get deeper ones if you have to.

forget the kingspan, spend the several hundreds of pounds saved on the few quid a year increase in your gas bill.

Okay.. So the Kingspan is insulated plasterboard, so the whole thing can be dot and dab onto brick (its K118, which is dot and dab suitable). I wish i could just forget the kingspan, but its the best way of achieving the u-value I need without taking up 15% of the area of the room, building control involved for a number of reasons so not avoidable.
If i use metal boxes, they will need to be offset from the wall, or I could use longer screws for the front panels?

On second thought You maybe able to use the plasterboard back boxes by chipping away some of the insulation for the grip.

Deep metal box with long screws should be fine (I can't see why it wouldnt be).

On second thought You maybe able to use the plasterboard back boxes by chipping away some of the insulation for the grip.

Deep metal box with long screws should be fine (I can't see why it wouldnt be).

Thats my thought at the moment, Ive never used the plaster boxes, are the sturdy? Also would I need additional trunking to stop the cable touching the insulation? Ive read this in a few places, but dont really understand why its needed?

They are as sturdy as the plasterboard. Nothing wrong with cable touching the insulation. But you will obviously have to take this into consideration when doing the maths.

They are as sturdy as the plasterboard. Nothing wrong with cable touching the insulation. But you will obviously have to take this into consideration when doing the maths.

May still go for the metal boxes and longer screws. This then allows me to set everything out ready for plasterboard to go up.

By "Doing the maths" do you mean the additional length of cable to come out of the plasterboard?

I don't know if you're an electrician or not but I'm talking about the effect insulation has on cables. Some brief information here TLC Electrical Supplies - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.3.6.htm

Thanks for that, I am not an electrician no, electronic engineer mind, so not too far away! Had a feeling it was to do with that, will have a read.
I will be capping the cable against the solid brick wall, and then its protecting the cable from there really. Maybe plastic boxes are better, possible to rout the cable through conduit through the insulation.

Fair enough. Is he involved already to advise on cable sizes and routes though?

You could try these, not used them my self but may leave a better finish. The problem with the plastic dry lining boxes is that they bring the edge of accessory out a tinny bit from the wall from which may be a problem if you are looking for a high standard of finish or fitting flat plate accessories .

2 Gang 35mm Fire & Acoustic Metal Dry Lining Plasterboard Box - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FB4235.html?source=adwords&ad_position=&ad_id=315107931576&placement=&kw=&network=u&matchtype=&ad_type=&product_id=FB4235&product_partition_id=297072075353&version=finalurl_v3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI65CioqPX4AIVTDPTCh2OqAh4EAQYAiABEgIwT_D_BwE

Fair enough. Is he involved already to advise on cable sizes and routes though?

He has been involved yes, just dont want to constantly be pestering him!
I have done some calculations for cable sizes, but I forgot to take into account the insulation. Luckily not bought all the cable yet!

In regards to routing through, I have planned it all out ready.

You could try these, not used them my self but may leave a better finish. The problem with the plastic dry lining boxes is that they bring the edge of accessory out a tinny bit from the wall from which may be a problem if you are looking for a high standard of finish or fitting flat plate accessories .

2 Gang 35mm Fire & Acoustic Metal Dry Lining Plasterboard Box - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FB4235.html?source=adwords&ad_position=&ad_id=315107931576&placement=&kw=&network=u&matchtype=&ad_type=&product_id=FB4235&product_partition_id=297072075353&version=finalurl_v3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI65CioqPX4AIVTDPTCh2OqAh4EAQYAiABEgIwT_D_BwE
Nice thought, guess ill be paying for the high quality finish. Would still need some conduit to run the cable through the insulation? Or do I just use the de-rating factor in calcs? Or Both!!?

Reply to Back Boxes for 57.5mm Dab n Dot Insulated Plaster Board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock