Discuss Back in the 2391 days in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Hawkmoon

Short question (2006 paper):

'Small commercial unit owned by a paint company:

Supply characteristics as follows..
The supply forms a 400/230V 50Hz TN-C-S system. The main fuses are 100A BS 88-2 and measured value of PFC is 1600A. The earthing conductor is a 25mm copper conductor and the main equipotential bonding conductors to gas, water and structural steel are 16mm copper.

Determine Ze from the above information'

Remember this causing much confusion...

Answers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be the first to put myself out on a limb.

The PFC would have been doubled so half that.

Then it's ohms law. Cannot see why the size if the eq bonding conducters are relevant as these are disconnected for Ze.

And the main earth conductor is also irrelevant as that is what it is.

but was it doubled or x 1.732? or even PEFC as opposed to PSCC??

Its a ---- question TBF. I've had a few over the past few weeks where you only get half a story and it's up to you to make assumptions.

Anyway got go to Los Santos.....

Last edited:
I can tell you I was told that approx 50% of students forgot the 3 phase aspect and applied ohms law to the 1600

Approx 20% went with 800

anyone else??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give it to my tutor next week and see what he makes if it. He certainly knows his onions.

Then it's ohms law. Cannot see why the size if the eq bonding conducters are relevant as these are disconnected for Ze.

There were other questions relating to it in addition to the Ze issue

Respect to you Lee - 80 odd views and you are the only one man enough to post up close to an answer lol

I got this wrong (not in exam but after in class where it was put up by a lecturer)

There should be a new qualification, City & Guilds 2399 'Initial verification and deciphering of vague exam questions'.

I've always thought their questions tend to be ambiguous and open to several interpretations in a large number of questions I have come across.
Not very helpful when you are under pressure in an exam situation!

I have my Design and Verification exam tonight so an answer would be nice!

Assuming that a pfc can only be measured off a singles supply one at a time them doubled by calculation. I would work it out as 230v divided by 1600a pfc = 0.14 ze

The problem is clearly on how the PFC was measured. Which is not clear on the question, as it says 230/400. So you either go with 230 to give 0.14, or what I am leaning with 400 which is 0.25

Yep unclear on how the value was achieved, so hopefully this question is no longer in the databank

The problem is clearly on how the PFC was measured. Which is not clear on the question, as it says 230/400. So you either go with 230 to give 0.14, or what I am leaning with 400 which is 0.25
why would you go with 0.25 on 400v ? Is it because it feels better but it wrong

Reply to Back in the 2391 days in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock