Discuss Backfeeding a 10KW generator to Dryer Socket, California in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

raywu1688

DIY
Reaction score
After turning off the main panel's utility 150A breaker, can I plug generator's 30A output into dryer's 30A socket to backfeed? I know it is unsafe (suicide code, lineman safety), but my area only has an average 12-hour-day blackout once a year and investigation of using a Transfer Switch and Interlock led no where (not feasible). Question: Is there any fire risk to consider since both dryer socket and gen output socket are same 30A only. Gen actually has a 50A output socket, but am not using that and use its 30A socket for current load safety.

Safety Note: If so connected, I would lock outdoor main panel during generator use/connected, and no one would be touching the Dryer socket-to-gen connection (with warning label posted). Actually there are no other occupants in house when such blackout event occurs. I would also isolate/disconnect solar system during gen usage.

Comments/answers would be appreciated.

The problem will be during or after a power cut, when accidentally for whatever reason someone ends up connecting the incoming power line and the generator.

Could be someone unexpectedly trying to be helpful, you being distracted by something or forgetful, you being offsite and trying to talk someone else through swapping power, etc.

At that point, you have the risk of something very bad happing, such as a lineman being electrocuted, or your generator blown up. It is not worth the risk.

In the UK we call this a “widowmaker” lead… technically a cable with a male plug at each end.

We would advise not doing this.
We would STRONGLY ADVISE never to do this.

nearly every horror story about someone being killed or injured by doing something similar has a back story about how they thought it would be ok because of a notice / locked door / I am the only person that goes in there.

eventually an unsuspecting friend, wife, child, care worker etc. Has to go in there for an unforeseen reason, sees why the washer is not working and “fixes the problem”
at this point it is like a cobra, ready to strike at any point With no warning.

Reply to Backfeeding a 10KW generator to Dryer Socket, California in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net