Discuss Bad day today :-( drilled a 20mm hole straight through top chord of a tji joist in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyork

As above drilling from floor above I thought I was going through a 3x2 bracer but turned out it was the top chord of a tji joist! In all my years and knowing the golden rule ! Well I'd say id describe myself as devestated!

If any seasoned member can say they have never screwed up then I wouldn't believe them, stand up dust down, evaluate, sort it out and move on..... never linger on screw up, it will send you mad and question your sanity.

Cheers bud, your right it's just frustrating when you know not to drill them!
I've been researching repair methods and it seems that ply glued and screwed to the sides of the trusses over a certain length may be the remedy, site manager will be finding out tomorrow.

Like most similar issues ... it just need a long enough brace to take the stress off the damaged area. I wouldn't loose any sleep on it but yes its frustrating.

Hi bud,yep,we have all been there....

If it is of a Glu lam type,and the person in charge,forces an answer from the manufacturer,it will be a "no".

The only deviation from repairs/alteration of top and bottom chords,in my experience,is to allow a type of "birdsmouth" for pitched bearing on wall plates....and they are very prescriptive,on achieving this...

There will be other ways round your problem,some constructional,some political.

Fair-play to you for your honesty (accepting your drilling didn't send anything south...)

Hope you solve it simply.:flowers:

Iam sure in the big picture of everything your one hole won't effect the integrity of the structure.

When the floor is screwed and glued down as well

I feel for you. Hope you can get away with a minor repair, if not get an insurance claim in and just consider the excess you'll have to pay as being school fees. Don't stress, we've all been there, let us know how it goes.

Its not making the mistake, It's how you correct it thats important and im sure you will do that in a very professional manor

,fell through a ceiling once last day of a rewire repaired it even down to matching up the old poor mans artex remember that like course sand paper glued to the ceiling
lol weve all done it

What's this thing you drilled through? Can you provide a picture.
images

Is it a joist but with chipboard stuff in the middle? I have to say, a 20mm hole is not going to cause a problem, I wouldn't ha e batted an eyelid.

Yes it is a problem, they are engineered timber joists built to very specific tolerances. The manufacturers warranty will be null and void unless an approved repair is carried out for a start. These joists can only have a certain number of holes in the osb web and nothing in the gluelam flanges/chords. This is why they have pre-made holes in them, though most manufacturers will allow you to drill a certain number of holes in certain places

i'm lucky enough not to have worked on any of these modern egg-box houses. my worst was years ago, drilling a c/h pipe.

Thankfully I rarely do domestic unless it is something I just can't get out of. But Like Tel whatever happened to proper wooden joists?

Sparkyork I wouldn't beat your self up too bad about this, if it were me I would be drilling holes till the cows came home, and most likely thinking to myself, that wasn't to shabby nice easy drill that!!!

They are a yankee idea,where weight and cheapness/speed of construction are cited as benefits. They were also sold as being "squeek-free" ....whatever that scientific badge means...

I have straightened and re-used many solid timber joist constructs,after long periods of dereliction or flood damage. Some of these glu-lam beams,only need a weekend period of a localised water leak...and they're done...

A good pal of mine,used a pile of salvaged Glu-lams,to purlin out his cattle shed,and the damp turned them in to a kind of architectural art installation...

Strange how these days,your floors,beams,work-tops and all your cupboards,are made from the all the bits,the apprentice used to sweep up :wink5:

I guess they're just a sign of the times. Houses used to be built to last and also they'd maybe get the odd extension tagged onto them but they'd usually remain as-built for their entire life. Nowadays people want to reconfigure and rebuild their house every few years according to the latest fashions so I suppose the permanent building methods of old would just be a waste of time and good materials if they're getting replaced regularly.

Reply to Bad day today :-( drilled a 20mm hole straight through top chord of a tji joist in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net