Discuss Bad Installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was asked to write a report today regarding a poor solar installation.
There are two inverters. The left is wired out the dead side of a shared AC isolator while the other inverter is wired of the live side (from the meter ) feeding another AC isolator.
In my opinion one inverter would feed back into the other this way.

Also do the Samil inverters have much earth leakage to cause nuisance tripping if two wired in parallel. Samil technical couldn't answer that question today.

Any thoughts

thanks Ja

Attachments

• 20150120_093435.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 20150120_093542.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20150120_102556.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 128
Its not clear from the pictures and description but sounds like a radial circuit with 2 ac isolators (nothing wrong with that ) what size is the ac supply ? what size array ?

The inverters won't feed into one another .

Cant comment on the nuisance tripping . what are the ocpd characteristics ?

Its 2kw pv.1kw east and 1kw south. If I fit more than 1inverter I always sub fuse each inverter. Best practise for isolation and fault finding. Ocpd not fimiliar with that. They have blown 4 inverters up so far. So there is a fault some where

why didnt they use a proper inverter? you can have multiple strings feeding an inverter?

at only 2kw its only 1kw per string or 4 x250 watt panels per string.

one of the companies i did work for usually did around 10 per string (cant remember exact it was about 3-4ish years ago)

I think there have been some significant issues with some of those smaller Samils, so it could just be that. Can't remember where I heard that from though.

I have spoken too the various governing bodies. RECC first, they are not interested in helping, pointed me in the direction of the MCS bodies. Napit said if the sub contract MCS installer hadnt registered the installation and main contractor had (customer has no mcs certificate but registered for FIT) it is the responibility of the main contractor to put the job right. Main contractor gone bust. Although the sub contractor did a bad job, its not there responsibility to put it right, although they are still trading.
So I spoke to gemserv to try and find who registered the job, they woudnt tell who had.

Customer will have to prove that they have paid for the installation before releasing the certificate. So still unsure who had done the installation at this point. I managed to find the installer in end when he let the name slip. Found out that it was the installer who gone bust who registered the install.
So in short customer has to pay for all the repairs out his pocket or house insurance if he is covered. What a load of croc.

Last edited:
I think there have been some significant issues with some of those smaller Samils, so it could just be that. Can't remember where I heard that from though.

Not that I know of. Got any further info on this? I think samil inverters are very good we have had no issues with them at all. In fact the only inverters we have had problems with are SMA.

Reply to Bad Installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net