Discuss Bad neutral on extraction fan? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all I've recently moved house and the extractor fan was not working, I've replaced the fan with a 240v extractor fan and wired up to my spotlights that are also 240v but for some reason the fan doesn't work. I've ran a new cable, tried 2 different extractor fans and definitely have 240v on the supply to the fan but it won't work and the lights do. Anything else I can try? Thanks

Hi all I've recently moved house and the extractor fan was not working, I've replaced the fan with a 240v extractor fan and wired up to my spotlights that are also 240v but for some reason the fan doesn't work. I've ran a new cable, tried 2 different extractor fans and definitely have 240v on the supply to the fan but it won't work and the lights do. Anything else I can try? Thanks
Is there a fan isolator fitted anywhere?

Welcome to the forum.
It's strange that the fan is not working, especially that you are getting 240V at the fan.
What fan do you have?

Welcome to the forum.
It's strange that the fan is not working, especially that you are getting 240V at the fan.
What fan do you have?
How did you test the voltage at the fan? not a voltstick was it?

Have you switched to the permanent live on the circuit board? This is meant to be permanent live and activated during switching to run the timer and fan only after switching off.

Hi the instructions weren't the best to be fair but I just used the permanent live as I only want it to on when the lights are on. I believe that it should work like this?

Found the connection instructions online and they are incredibly clear.
Xpelair VX100 User Manual (Page 3 of 12) - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1462959/Xpelair-Vx100.html?page=3#manual

If you are struggling with this I would recommend getting a competent electrician in. It could avoid damage to the new fan or worse, to yourself. If this work is in the zones of a bathroom it should be notified to building control anyway.

You ideally need a non timer fan but as in #14 this is a method to make it function, not a manufacturers prescribed method but nonetheless. As in #15 these works are notifiable to building control.

Hi all thanks for the replies and I tried a manrose extractor fan and it worked first time, guess it was 3rd time lucky.
Found the connection instructions online and they are incredibly clear.
Xpelair VX100 User Manual (Page 3 of 12) - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1462959/Xpelair-Vx100.html?page=3#manual

If you are struggling with this I would recommend getting a competent electrician in. It could avoid damage to the new fan or worse, to yourself. If this work is in the zones of a bathroom it should be notified to building control anyway.
Hi Andy I've just gone and bought a fan without a timer, worked first time. Thanks

What happened to the initial fan supply?
New supply picked up from spotlights?
Stick a pin in it...…..3rd time lucky.....Well Done.

By the way....what's a bad neutral got to do with it?

Reply to Bad neutral on extraction fan? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net