Discuss Bad practice or fine ? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stevie h

Got a rewire on at the mo and there is metal conduit for all of the original s/w drops , buried in the wall , the customer is happy with the original s/w positions so i was going to use the conduit to save chasing and mess , the conduit is not earthed , can i run my s/w drops in it ...? will be rewired to 17th..

cheers

Ste

Use the existing conduit purely as a cable route, with your switch wires make sure you run in a cpc.

im confused, why would you think it would be bad practice? unless ive missed something? (i usually do!)

conduit not being earthed , and as i,v never used old conduit drops on a rewire before, so i thought i ask you knowlagable gents :)

you might have to change the boxes ,the face plate screws might be a different size,and the knockout in the new box might not line up,and on some boxes theres no earth terminal,also if its half inch conduit you will find it a bit tight for more than onec tae,but apart from all that using it should be ok

conduit not being earthed , and as i,v never used old conduit drops on a rewire before, so i thought i ask you knowlagable gents :)

sorry i thought you meant you were gonna bond them, if you bond them all i shouldnt think it would be a problem,

i would be supprised if the screws wernt the same size, usually all 3.5mm i thought, you can always drill a new hole if the KO didnt line up, and if for some odd reason they didnt have earth piller in the back you could put some in couldnt you? :)

Use the conduit mate and dont worry about bonding it 30mA protection takes away the need to bond IMO......

oh and by the way CUT THEM SEALS !!

Ref faceplate screws the very old ones used to be 4ba but they will tap out with a 3.5mm tap no problem, go ahead reuse the old conduits is not a problem ive done it for years, we dont earth metal capping do we ?
Regards dave

The original sw heights are not all exactly the same , so the plans is to drop them all a bit , so there spot on , so its down the conduit , out , short run of capping into new sw box .... so the conduit will not be getting an earth off the box , that is why i thought i,d double check .

As for the original sw boxes , there aint none , the switches are screwed via a sort of " u " shaped bracket mounted on the brick work and bit of wood , its very old , .... skts are single mk very old type mounted on the skirting , round pin inserts :eek:

If the conduits are in the walls as drops only and not grounded in any way and are not in contact with any extraneous conductive parts or exposed conductive parts then should be fine and no need to earth conduits.

stevieh, ive seen them all, wooden pattresses with surface switches, wooden flush boxes with flush switches, we used to re use these boxes and fix plate switch with chrome 6s woodsrews, of course not advisable now (FLAMMABLE BACK BOX), ive also seen wooden trunking underfloors slotted for single v.i.r. cables in them, with a flat lid, must have been a joiners job to install the trunking it was a work of art. So re-use those metal conduits and extend with capping, its not a problem, but dont forget your zoning.
regards dave

I presume the reason you have mentioned the 17th in the post is because of the rcd requirements.

So can you run in the conduit. Yes of course you can.

Does it absolve you from puting the lights on a 30mA? No

so, just run the cables in as if it was a chase and put on an RCD, or earth the conduit and dont protect with RCD - both ways would meet the regs.

Reply to Bad practice or fine ? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock