Discuss bad work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
went to a job today, didn't know where to start.

all they wanted was a new socket or two, but after I saw this work I couldn't leave site without rectifying.

trouble is how to get paid for extra work.

I am a small business, not the electrical police. so I doubt I will get paid for making good, but couldn't leave it.

just wondered what you lot would have done?

IMG_0632.jpg

additional ring jammed in cover!

IMG_0633.jpgIMG_0634.jpg

lighting radial was 1 foot too short!

IMG_0635.jpg

the fire brigade would love this cable management over a fire exit for previous mentioned new ring

You're running a business, not a charity!

One thing doing a freebie for an OAP, but another business, organise payment before you touch anything.
You can't have a conscience when running your own company in times like these.

I agree with Archy and Glen on this one,if we all rectified messy cu's for free we would get nothing done.

You need to put a compelling case together to get further works agreed by the client and it has to be more compelling than "its a mess" so take photos and list all of the immediate issues with emphasis on the dangerous faults. get em off to the client for approval

We're seeing more and more and more of these messes getting put on here....biff, archy and glenn you really need to stop contracting together :laugh3: only joking lads.

Thats bad that. Really bad, you see messes all that time but thats up there with the worst. Sparkless good luck sorting that mess out.

I agree with Archy and Glen on this one,if we all rectified messy cu's for free we would get nothing done.

You need to put a compelling case together to get further works agreed by the client and it has to be more compelling than "its a mess" so take photos and list all of the immediate issues with emphasis on the dangerous faults. get em off to the client for approval
but i wouldn`t even bother trying to decypher any of it for client attention....i`d just issue a danger notice for the whole bloddy thing as a whole...
and explain to the customer if they decide to go ahead with any remedials...that they really should be prepared...lol..

I've seen loads of horrors on my I&T travels.
It all gets documented, then onto the next one.
No time to fix and won't get paid for any repairs...I'm off.
Let my employer and the customer deal with it.

but i wouldn`t even bother trying to decypher any of it for client attention....i`d just issue a danger notice for the whole bloddy thing as a whole...
and explain to the customer if they decide to go ahead with any remedials...that they really should be prepared...lol..

I agree with ur sentiments mate, but im always hesitant to break out the danger notices, unless its genuinely lethal, i find that DN's can some times scare domestic clients and rub commercials up the wrong way.

From experience i have found a well worded email/letter explaining the issues and the need to put things right is a little gentler on the client and they often appreciate the effort put into the correspondence. as i say thats just my preference and seems to have worked for me, but very much each to their own.

I agree with ur sentiments mate, but im always hesitant to break out the danger notices, unless its genuinely lethal, i find that DN's can some times scare domestic clients and rub commercials up the wrong way.

From experience i have found a well worded email/letter explaining the issues and the need to put things right is a little gentler on the client and they often appreciate the effort put into the correspondence. as i say thats just my preference and seems to have worked for me, but very much each to their own.
understood....i can see how a DN could seem a little abrupt....
however, that little lot reminded me of a place we went into once...with 1s n 2s all over the place...
and the clients new about it anyway as well....it had been left for years....
not much patience there as it was full of unskilled/uninstructed.....

its a real difficult one for small business.

If I leave it, without being too dramatic, the dropping wire could cost a life.

if I rectify, I'm working for free,

If I kick off too the customer, they don't know whats wrong as long as the light turns on and the last sparky they got didn't nag them for loads of extra work, lets get them back because this bloke is a pain in the arse.

understood....i can see how a DN could seem a little abrupt....
however, that little lot reminded me of a place we went into once...with 1s n 2s all over the place...
and the clients new about it anyway as well....it had been left for years....
not much patience there as it was full of unskilled/uninstructed.....

No i think in that situation i would DN it!, if its obvious the client knows and couldnt care less then there is no other option.

its a real difficult one for small business.

If I leave it, without being too dramatic, the dropping wire could cost a life.

if I rectify, I'm working for free,

If I kick off too the customer, they don't know whats wrong as long as the light turns on and the last sparky they got didn't nag them for loads of extra work, lets get them back because this bloke is a pain in the arse.
no...you dont work for free...
you can go down the hightower route....take up pen and paper and advise the client that way...that this is a dangerous situation...and requires urgent attention.
failing this...you will have to cover your arse...as you were there, you saw it...and your classed as a skilled/instructed person.....try the soft approach first...if that fails...well....

Know what you're saying sparkless.
You sound similar to me, got a bit of a conscience/maybe a bit soft/haven't got that ruthless streak.
That's why I prefer to be employed, I can shovel the responsibility onto someone else!

Sparkless, we all understand where your coming from, but you cant fix everything mate, just not possible. if you can throw a few zip ties round those cables and secure them, then happy days but i would be drawing the line there.

Know what you're saying sparkless.
You sound similar to me, got a bit of a conscience/maybe a bit soft/haven't got that ruthless streak.
That's why I prefer to be employed, I can shovel the responsibility onto someone else!

i concur also this is a bodged up mess
issue a hazard/ safety report to the owner about it.
also let him know your rates to repair it
if you warn the owner with a written report and retain a copy
you have covered your butt (dated and signed by both of you)

as a professional there is no excuse for that mess

Last edited:
i concur also this is a bodged up mess
issue a hazard/ safety report to the owner about it.
also let him know your rates to repair it
if you warn the owner with a written report and retain a copy
you have covered your butt (dated and signed by both of you)

as a professional there is no excuse for that mess

letter

per hour

danger notice

but he didn`t do it...and he cant force the client to have it sorted either

letter

per hour

danger notice

but he didn`t do it...and he cant force the client to have it sorted either

Gnuuser is in the sates mate, they will invariably have different methods, docs and procedures, to be fair a american spark wouldn't know what to do with one of our boards lol.

but hes singing near enough the same hymn as us lol

Reply to bad work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net