Discuss Bad Workmanship in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Brian Boyd

After numerous jobs having to go along and rectify very sub standard work its started to get me thinking. The more common things i come across is poor labelling at dist boards, Cables not sized right, inadequate protection jobs half finished. I recently came across a 13amp double socket wired in 1.5mm T&E protected by 63amp HRC fuse. I also came across an immersion heater with live and neutral both connected together missing the elements. I know some plumbers etc try there hand but its not in every case.

I`m just curious as to what the worst scenario anyone else has come across.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly off topic but on the subject of labelling dis boards can I make a plea regarding spare ways. Can we leave spare ways unlabelled?....the times I've added a new circuit to a board and then cant write in the new circuit details cos some pillock has written SPARE all across the label. If there's a blank shield in there i'ts bleeding obvious i'ts SPARE....you dont have to write it in !!!

You only need to write "spare" if there is an MCB installed with no circuit connected to it.

But yes, unused ways neednt be labelled.

I tested a large supermarket, the BS88 80a fuses were missing from the isolator feeding an essential power board. In there place were 3 small pieces of 6mm singles with yellow lugs!!

I was specifically told "Do Not Switch it off!" so I was unable to fix it.

A year later, it was still there!!!!

I was pricing a job a few months ago and who ever had done this job messed it up so much he left a extention lead plug in and the other end connected into the back of the switch plate, i did ask who had done it and was told it was one of our eastern friends.

After numerous jobs having to go along and rectify very sub standard work its started to get me thinking. The more common things i come across is poor labelling at dist boards, Cables not sized right, inadequate protection jobs half finished. I recently came across a 13amp double socket wired in 1.5mm T&E protected by 63amp HRC fuse. I also came across an immersion heater with live and neutral both connected together missing the elements. I know some plumbers etc try there hand but its not in every case.

went to a new build extension last year the guy that wired it was "approved" apparently.
downstairs toilet light wasn't working and he wouldn't come back to sort it.
this was a massive extension with open plan kitchen and upstair master bedroom and ensuite bathroom.
nice people owned the place got totally stiffed on the price.
ask for test certs and got handed a home made sheet labeled "small works order" with no sign of any test results.
pulled down toilet light to find a link between earth and neutral ,on splitting link and quick test no neutral at the light ,tncs system in property scary.
was asked to test the whole extension this is what i found:
whole extension had been spliced into the exising building using JBs
fuse board old wylex on rewireables was feeding extension
all the light including about 20 halogens in the kitchen ,none fire rated, were on a 16amp wireable which also fed some downstairs sockets in the existing property.
extension ring main had been grafted onto a radial which was on a 32a rewirable.
no ip rated downlighters in shower cubicle
no earth bonding at all
nothing marked obviously.
finally no RCD's on anything
turned out to be the job from hell and it cost them a lot of money to put right.
in this area building regs are a joke no one from building control is checking up on finished work being up to spec or signed off,make's me wonder why we bother.
turns out a call to the local building inspectors revelled they have no one qualified to make such checks.
so much for Part "P"
quality

elfyn

Last edited:
ive been to a job where someone wired a 9kw shower from the back of a socket in 2.5mm flex

Its great to know i`m not the only one who comes across ropey work. I`ve seen cowboy builders etc but cant recall a show about dodgy electrics. Is there a gap in the market for reality tv show "The shocking Truth":)

Its great to know i`m not the only one who comes across ropey work. I`ve seen cowboy builders etc but cant recall a show about dodgy electrics. Is there a gap in the market for reality tv show "The shocking Truth":)

Perhaps because all the people who complained are deceased :)

WOW thats a joke. That is just taken the piddle. Was probly a sussage roll who ain't got a danny who done it

ive been to a job where someone wired a 9kw shower from the back of a socket in 2.5mm flex
Thats a libberty, I'm in my first year and i know thats wrong,If im right it needs its own circuit right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst one I saw....(probably diy'd) was a call from someone recently moved ,they called to say they had only been in a week and both the upstairs lights and shower had ceased to work. You can probably guess the rest....8.5kw shower wired in 6.0mm and tapped into the upstairs lighting circuit with a block of connectors...at the furthest point on the circuit ! At the DB the 5a 3036 had a bit of 30a wire across it.
The 1.0mm lighting cables in the loft had almost completely melted, in places just the 3 wires blackened and charred were laying on the joists...and at the DB where the cables coming down the wall were chased in close together the heat from the lighting cable had severely damaged several of the other circuits as well....turned into a pretty big job.

Was called to a job yesterday where the customers oven wasn't working, when I removed the plate off the cooker isolator I found there was only an incomming feed????

Looked behind the cooker and found it was been fed by 1.5mm twin and earth, followed this and found it going behind 2 cupboards and 1 sink unit before been connected into the ring under a cupboard in a JB. The JB & wiring had all melted.

When I questioned the customer he told me a local electrician had wired it up for him for £120 cash 2 months ago.

I am unsure why he took this route with the wrong cable as the original cooker switch was approx 2 metres away from the cooker yet this incorrect wiring was over 4 metres long???

Asked what else he had fit in the past and was told an outside light under a porch, when I looked at this I found a standard bayonet fitting not waterproof wired with flex, drilled through the wall with a plug on the end. Everytime the customer went outside they had to plug the light in.

I told the customer I will be back in the morning (Sunday) but am just a little concerned where I stand on this issue. I understand that in terms of liability the last person to touch it is responsible, but I am also apprehensive about leaving an elderly couple with no outside light or cooker.

Have been out today and bought a PIR Floodlight and some 6mm T&E so am ready to fix. I am not going to charge for the work as I feel they have been ripped off enough recently (also looking at the house I understand funds may be low) and have managed to get the light and cable for £23 which is the only charge I will make. I will run an insulation test and Zs on the ring to check it's integrity.

So could anyone advise on what to do in this situation?

Many Thanks

Thats a sticky one. If i`m doing any work were i`m concerned i outline the extent of the installation i cover on the appropriate test certificate so as not to get caught with something i didn`t install or check over. We can`t go to every job and check absolutely everything its just not feasible or practical Sounds like handyman job as supposed to electrician job.

Hi.

As Brian has said you need to outline exactly what you do in the extent covered box on the relevant test cert, together with any observations on the existing installation.

Hi i'm new,

On a re-wire at the moment and the shower has been fed from a 1way CU 40A breaker, been run outside then thru a bedroom in 10mm T&E to a pull switch inside zone 2 i think (2.1m from base of bath) on top of that its been joined in a 30A JB in the loft.

Does anyone ever alert the NIC to this as it is recent and quite dangerous?

Reply to Bad Workmanship in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock