Discuss Bad Workmanship? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
A neighbour of mine had a high level socket put in for a plasma tv a while back. He asked me to have a look at it the other day as it wasn't working. The problem was just a loose connection but whilst inspecting it I found out that the socket was a spur taken off the upstairs ring and this is in the downstairs living room. So theres two different circuits in living room. Is this acceptable?

Yes it's fine. If you think someone is likely to work on it live when they think it's been isolated, best to mark it, eg on the db schedule.

It all comes down to the person doing any work on any circuit, if you just rely on the DB legend saying down stairs sockets and you isolate that circuit without proving it is dead before disconnecting it then you should not be doing it in the first place.

As to putting labels on switches/sockets may be good in an industrial/commercial installation I would not want them in my house.

Last edited:
A neighbour of mine had a high level socket put in for a plasma tv a while back. He asked me to have a look at it the other day as it wasn't working. The problem was just a loose connection but whilst inspecting it I found out that the socket was a spur taken off the upstairs ring and this is in the downstairs living room. So theres two different circuits in living room. Is this acceptable?

Its a good thing to do in this age of dual split boards, at least if circuits are seperated properly onto different RCD's you dont lose power at every point on one floor if one trips. But as someone else has said the CU must be clearly and properly marked up, as it should be to comply anyway.:cool:

Reply to Bad Workmanship? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net