Discuss Baffled. Sewage eater. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Baffled.  Sewage eater. IMG_2319 - EletriciansForums.netHi Guys. wondered if any of you guys have installed one of these or similar. It's a Marsh External compressor housing. Basically it for pumping sewage away and into an underground plastic cess- pool. Ground worker put everything in when doing drains etc.
SWA supply cable there and 2 x 16 amp skts. 2 x flexes. 1 flex for the air compressor and the other for the pump. No electrical drawings on site. I will try and search on the new later. There does not seem enough room to terminate a SWA cable. Thoughts appreciated

I had a similar set up a few months back,however,unlike yours,the pump was at the pit, the electrical gear was under a type of lid canopy
My swa was routed through the bell of the pit,looped back up through then strapped and terminated next door to the switchgear,my own adaptable box was used butted up to the switchgear

It ended up being secure after some playing around with fixings

I had a similar set up a few months back,however,unlike yours,the pump was at the pit, the electrical gear was under a type of lid canopy
My swa was routed through the bell of the pit,looped back up through then strapped and terminated next door to the switchgear,my own adaptable box was used butted up to the switchgear

It ended up being secure after some playing around with fixings
Not too sure how to this. pump in pit + 1 flex for comp...looking at skts no room to get cables in

I would terminate the swa into an appropriate IP rated box then flex to each socket - on the assumption they are permanently powered by the sockets and are integrally controlled.... but worth checking with the manufacturers or the guys who dumped this crap on you (pardon the pun)

I have something very similar here at home. The compressor runs 24/7 and the pump has a float switch built-in to run when the water level is high so both are wired as permanently live from a single circuit.

As darkwood says, terminate the SWA into an IP box and then feed the two sockets - assuming the compressor and pump are wired to those sockets under the lid.

Where does the other end of the SWA go?

You can see the swa and two flexes. The flexes go into a commando plug each. The swa is obviously coming from the house/garage being the supply. Like darkwood says the swa should be terminated into an appropiate ip enclosure and then in two additional flexes come out of ip box to feed the commando sockets. If there is no room to terminate existing commando sockets you could always use trailing commando sockets or hardwire direct to the ip rated enclosure.

I have something very similar here at home. The compressor runs 24/7 and the pump has a float switch built-in to run when the water level is high so both are wired as permanently live from a single circuit.

As darkwood says, terminate the SWA into an IP box and then feed the two sockets - assuming the compressor and pump are wired to those sockets under the lid.

Thanks for replies guys. At this point in time, the SWA cable might be able to reach the con-unit, if not I could terminate it close to the Con-unit and extend it using T & E into the Con-unit. I intend to wire this on it's own circuit protected by it's own DP 10/30mA RCBO. I suppose I could use a DP switch where I extend the SWA circuit for means of isolation, although it could be said the RCBO offers means of isolation.

Ok been out of the game for many years. As Darkwood said....IP box,gland SWA cable into box. 2 x flexes using stuffing glands. As outside in an enclosure, would you recommend something like artic blue flex? Ideally I'm hoping there is room to fix the IP box. This day and age should I be using Wago connectors, din -rail?

Yes, I would use artic blue. Is there not plenty of room for a box under there? Put on RCBO as it is sure that the pump will die in time and trip out any RCD.

Yes, I would use artic blue. Is there not plenty of room for a box under there? Put on RCBO as it is sure that the pump will die in time and trip out any RCD.
I only had a quick look at whist freezing cold, took pics and thought about it afterwards. I will find out on the day re available room. I'm thinking about possibly using a IP box with a din rail with connectors on. Would that be going over the top?

Update: I must be doing this all wrong. The 16amp sockets are supplied with 25mm Dia plastic stuffing glands which are far too big for the artic flex. Also when glands fitted to the sockets, unable to fit the lid! The glands protude too far out. See OP pic above. The compressor is only rated at 40w, the pump MI says 10 amp circuit reqd.

Reply to Baffled. Sewage eater. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock