Discuss Baffling Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lordy9099

Hello,

Just been to look at a problem where when his light switch for his front room lights is switched on, the stairs light 3 meters away will not work, though when the front room lights are switched off the stair light works, and is the stair light is on and the front room light is switched on the stair light goes out and the front room lights turn on so the problem somewhere is that the front room light switch is taking power away from the stair light?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Who installed it? DIY Homeowner who swears he aint touched out...good look with them lol.

Get ure tester out, and see where the power is/isn't when the lights are switched on/off and go from there - common sense lol.

They haven't wired the light switch in the hall from the front room light fitting or something daft like that have they? (home owners can do anything lol)

I had this problem a few weeks back, the guy who called me swore blind that he hadn't been messing with anything. I asked him if it had always been like that to which he said no, what happened to make it go wrong then I asked "Well I put that light fitting up but I connected everything exactly as it was in the old fitting"

It sounds like the feeds are looped at the switches (or rather supposed to be) but go into the other side of a 2 way switch instead, so when you switch the lounge lights on it diverts the power away from the hallway feed.
As above ask the customer if he's been tinkering around, then ask him if he's sure, then start belling out to find out where he's been tinkering about.

It sounds like the feeds are looped at the switches (or rather supposed to be) but go into the other side of a 2 way switch instead, so when you switch the lounge lights on it diverts the power away from the hallway feed.
As above ask the customer if he's been tinkering around, then ask him if he's sure, then start belling out to find out where he's been tinkering about.
If he continually denies buggering about then your price goes up accordingly. £x if you want me to do the job, £xx if you want to watch me do it £--- if you've been messing :)

Yea I used to use it all the time but younger guys were saying what bell

Something that ''THEY'' need to learn then!!

Been using the term ''Bell it out'' (in all it's guises) for too long to let a bunch of kids tell me differently!! Can't say that i remember anyone that has ever said ...what bell!! lol!

Reply to Baffling Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net