Discuss BAFFLING smoke alarm problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SeanSparky

Hi, I'm absolutely baffled by this and wondering if anyone can see an answer or have ever came across this problem.

Basically I have a smoke and heat detector interlinked, nothing fancy.
Feed is from the light closest to it.
T&E feed-3 core interlink.

When both smoke heads are on, the light turns on and in the off position it just dims down, doesn't go off.

Take 1 head off and the light works fine, doesn't matter which head you remove.

The T&E feed is 100% a perminent feed.

Please please somebody explain this for me because I'm baffled

sounds weird to me have the smoke detectors got lights inbuilt into them??

all i can think is have you connected the smoke detectors wrong at the lights ? have you picked up a switched live ? or maybe you wired them in series ? Have you confirmed you definitely have Live and a Neutral supply rot the smoke detector ??

pictures will help

This is all I have added, from the junction box onwards. Lights work completely fine with only 1 heat or smoke, doesn't matter which one i disconnect.

BAFFLING smoke alarm problem IMG_6756.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Wots the connections in the box marked 'X'? Are you sure you haven't mixed up your, lives, switch lives and neutral?, i.e. neutral as live (or switch live) and live as neutral

That's the standard pendant light, Swithed live, N, and loop,
I've jumped off the loop, N and earth

Wots the connections in the box marked 'X'? Are you sure you haven't mixed up your, lives, switch lives and neutral?, i.e. neutral as live (or switch live) and live as neutral

If all else fails, I recall a thing about smoke and heat not always compatible for interlinking (hopefully not imagined) - perhaps try removing interlink to heat and see if it changes behaviour?

I pretty much have done, but also the detector bases have just got a connector block for the T&E/3core. You then have a short lead to connect into the connector blocks and the other end has a little plug in connector to plug into the detectors, and with the detectors unplugged the light works fine, so that should mean the hard wiring is fine doesnt it ?
Even works with just 1 detector plugged in so my best guess is it's something to do with the 3core, most likely the interlink core ??

Disconnect the lot and reconnect double checking all connections.

I pretty much have done, but also the detector bases have just got a connector block for the T&E/3core. You then have a short lead to connect into the connector blocks and the other end has a little plug in connector to plug into the detectors, and with the detectors unplugged the light works fine, so that should mean the hard wiring is fine doesnt it ?
Even works with just 1 detector plugged in so my best guess is it's something to do with the 3core, most likely the interlink core ??

So no dead tests then....

what have you done so far to try and identify the problem? What tests have you carried out and what were the results?
In my opinion the symptoms suggest a series connection of loads when they should be in parallel, so would probably measure the potential across each load and at each point wrt earth.

This has crossed my mind also but I'm assuming All BRK brand detectors should be able to interlink
Can't find anything online
If all else fails, I recall a thing about smoke and heat not always compatible for interlinking (hopefully not imagined) - perhaps try removing interlink to heat and see if it changes behaviour?

Reply to BAFFLING smoke alarm problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock