Discuss Ballast replacement puzzle in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tsibés

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,
In a single tube strip light the ballast quit after 30 years of service. The only replacement I could find was for a fixture of two tubes (see attached). It has pairs of yellow, red, and blue wires. Viewing the diagram, it appears either the red or the blue pairs should be used along with the yellow. I elected to use the blue and capped each red one with marrettes.
When the light is switched on, only one end of the tube has a faint light (where the blue wire is attached). Not good.
Could someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
T
Ballast replacement puzzle new_ballast - EletriciansForums.net

might justbe that you need 2 tubes fitting. personally i'd have ditched the failed ballast and fitted a LED tube.

go with the floe.

Hello,
In a single tube strip light the ballast quit after 30 years of service. The only replacement I could find was for a fixture of two tubes (see attached). It has pairs of yellow, red, and blue wires. Viewing the diagram, it appears either the red or the blue pairs should be used along with the yellow. I elected to use the blue and capped each red one with marrettes.
When the light is switched on, only one end of the tube has a faint light (where the blue wire is attached). Not good.
Could someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
T
View attachment 83359
After 30 years I think that you are Grady for a new light. Them old fluorescent lights are not worth the trouble

Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies.
The solution was to wire red2red and blue2blue as well as cap the yellows individually.
Hopefully this may help others in the future.
Good day!

Reply to Ballast replacement puzzle in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock