Discuss >>>>> !!Bane and tony.towa's Cookbook Central!! <<<<< Daily in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

To Celebrate the return of Shakey.

Welsh Cakes

Here we go then with a traditional recipe for Welsh Cakes, nice and easy and the kids will love them.

What you need

225gms plain flour
85gms castor sugar
Half teaspoon mixed spice
Half teaspoon baking powder
50gms of butter, cut into small pieces
50gms of lard, cut into small pieces
50gms currants
1 beaten egg
A splash of milk
A pinch of salt

What you do

Put the flour, sugar, mixed spices and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter and lard (use your hands) until the mixture is crumbly. Add the currants. Work in the egg until the mixture is a soft dough adding the splash of milk if it seems too dry. It should end up the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.
Roll out the dough to the thickness of your little finger and then cut into 3inch rounds.
If you have one, grease a bakestone with the lard wrapper, if not use a flat griddle pan or heavy frying pan and place it over a medium heat. Cook the Welsh Cakes for about 3 minutes on each side.
Remove the cooked welsh cakes and serve warm with butter spread on one side, or sprinkle with castor sugar and store in a tin. Will keep for about a week. You will need to regrease the pan after each batch is "fried".

Last edited by a moderator:
Welsh Rarebit Muffins
What You Need

50gms plain flour
225gms self raising flour
Teaspoon of baking powder
Half teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
Quarter teaspoon of salt
Half teaspoon of mustard powder
100gms of strong cheese, half grated, half cubed (I can recommend Collier).
6 tablespoons of vegetable oil
150gms of Greek yogurt
125ml of milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce

What You Do

Pre heat an oven to 200C
Mix in a bowl the self raising and plain flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt and mustard powder.
Mix in another bowl the cheese, oil, yogurt, milk, egg and Worcester sauce.
Combine the contents of both bowls and divide into muffin cases in a muffin tin.
Cook in the oven for twenty to twenty five minutes (until golden).

For the benefit of Cirrus

1 A Welsh Rarebit is NOT a Cardiff virgin.
2 Everybody enjoys a good muffin.
3 Ideal for your lunchbox

Was halfway out of the back door with Mrs Doc's microwave shouting we were going to be rich, rich, rich. Then she explained that diamonds done come pre cut and polished.:eek:

Diamonds In The Microwave!!!! (How'd you come across that Rum?)

Oh and Spark-Doctor? Your sick! (That vid you sent me, though I could send you some pretty nasty ones too)

Anyway, today I'm feeling posh (had a shower already) so, here's one that will really wow your friends if you ever entertain guests at your house. This should really take pride of place and should be the centrepiece of your buffet.

CLASSIC BUFFET PARTY SALMON
Serves 10

You will need:
A fish kettle (Can be hired from some fishmongers or fishcounters of supermarkets)
2.5Kg Salmon (cleaned, but with head and skin left on)
Salt and black peppercorns
4 Bay leaves
1 Onion (sliced)
4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
200ml (approx) Mayonnaise

To garnish:
14 Cooked jumbo prawns (tails off, heads on)
1-2 Bunches of fresh dill
Lemon wedges (or slices)

1) Lift out the rack from the fish kettle and set aside. Half fill the kettle with cold water and add 2tbsp salt, 12 black peppercorns, the bay leaves, onion and vinegar.

2) Put the salmon onto the rack and lower into the kettle. Bring to a boil then simmer for one minute only. Remove from the heat, cover, and leave to stand for about 2hrs until the fish is just warm.

3) Lift the rack and the salmon out of the fish kettle. Strain the cooking liquid and reserve. Cover the salmon with a large piece of cling film and flip the fish over onto the cling film. Bone and skin the salmon (See instructions at end of the recipe). Cover and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.

4) Mix the dill into the mayonnaise then taste for seasoning. Spoon into a serving bowl and chill until ready to serve.

5) Arrange the prawns in a line along the middle of the salmon so that the heads are facing in oppostie directions (this will hide the line where the backbone was). The number of prawns will depend on the length of your salmon so buy extra just in case (you can always use the extra around the edge of the plate as garnish).

6) Arrange dill sprigs around the edge of the salmon and on the plate, together with lemon slices or wedges. Serve with the dill mayonnaise.

BONING AND SKINNING A SALMON

1) Using a sharp knife, neatly remove the head from the salmon.
2) Run the knife along the backbone of the fish to loosen the top fillet.
3) Flip the top fillet over and remove the bones from the fish.
4) Use the cling film to flip the bottom fillet back onto the top and remove the skin and any dark flesh.
5) Use the cling film to flip the fish onto a large serving plate and remove the remaining skin.
6) With a small knife, gently scrape away the brownish flesh, leaving behind only the pink flesh.

I know this recipe may sound a bit complicated but it really isn't.
On top of that, if you ever have guests round, it really makes an impression and I guarantee they won't believe you did it (unless it goes totally ti*s up then they'll all point and laugh). The reactions make the effort wothwhile

Well i love salmon and he will eat what he is given or go to the Chinese take away. I may substitute the sauce for for hollandaise though. A friend of mine has a large fish kettle so no problem there. I will let you know how it goes.

Where does the name "Bane" come from?

I cant remember who Ian said the pheasant recipe was from but thank you very much, it was delicious.

Do you any thing for duck, we have a couple of them in the freezer. No duck aloronge please.(that is not spelt right)

Went out a bought a nice salmon this morning and i have 4 of my friends coming over for a party tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Rubs hands*

Your going to try the salmon buffet? Excellent! I have some duck recipes too. Do you need them for tonight though as I'm just about to step out the door?

Glad you enjoyed the recipes you've tried so far! That's what Tony, I and this thread are here for!

Her we go then "Mrs Doc"

Duck in Port and Cherry Sauce.

What you need
1 duck (about 5lbs weight) with giblets
1 large onion (quartered)
3 tablespoons of dripping (and the juices from cooking the duck)
2 tablespoons of plain flour
1 cup of giblet stock
1 small glass of port
1 can of stoned black cherries

What you do
Put the giblets into a saucepan, cover with cold water add seasoning and any herbs you have handy. Simmer for 1 hour.
Pre heat the oven to 180C.
Dry the duck,inside and out with some kitchen towel and put the quartered onion inside it. ----- the skin all over and sprinkle with some salt. Place on a grill in a shallow roasting tin, breast up, and roast for 35mins per pound.
For the sauce put the dripping and roasting juices into a saucepan heat gentley and sprinkle in the flour stirring it in. Heat for 1 minute. Strain the giblet stock and add in half a pint to make a smooth sauce. Cook gently for about three minutes stirring all the time or until the sauce thickens. When thickened add the port and the drained cherries.

Tony and Bane. Thank you sooooooooooo much. My friends and i thoroughly enjoyed the duck and salmon last night and i almost blew the printer up printing off copy's of your recipes for them. I did use a strong chicken stock for the duck and i made the mayonnaise dip as well as a Hollandaise sauce and they all preferred the mayo:eek:

Wish i had tried the profiter rolls as well.

Reply to >>>>> !!Bane and tony.towa's Cookbook Central!! <<<<< Daily in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock