Discuss Bane...how did college go today? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hope it went well...tell us all about it:)

Give him a chance ,even Bane should last more than the first morning :)
im sure we will hear all about it in due course :eek: maybee hes joined the cookery class instead.
whats for dinner tonite bane?

Last edited by a moderator:
Give him a chance ,even Bane should last more than the first morning :)
im sure we will hear all about it in due course :eek: maybee hes joined the cookery class instead.
whats for dinner tonite bane?

Just got home, beans on toast tonight Rum! Nothing in the fridge/freezer. Think I'll have to drop kick the missus in the forehead for that.

Will tell you all about college in a couple of hours.

Thanks for asking Monty :)

Actually guys, think I'll have to update you all tomorrow, got a stinking cold and headache and being on the computer doesn't seem to be helping.

Maybe it's just my brain pulsating and pushing against my skull. Hasn't been exercised for a while you see!

Thanks again for asking, speak tomorrow guys!

Graaaaahhh!!!!

Right, today? Hmmmm, yes. Well. Not much to say really.

Was just a case of introducing ourselves to each other, was given loads of paperwork, outlining the course up till December. Oh yeah, wired a 13A plug and was told I'd done it wrong (not just me, the whole class) apparently the blue wire isn't live???

Nah, basically we'd all left copper showing, had twisted the wire and hadn't doubled up... And there was me, cocky as fu*k,

"Wire a plug? What fuc*ing idiot can't wire a plug?"

Erm...Me, apparently :)

Oh and was told something by a course tutor that I kept a record of to show you guys.

"Anybody who has done their 16th Edition BEFORE 2004 will have to do the FULL 17th Edition. Anyone who had completed their 16th Edition AFTER 2004 will only have to do the update."

Thoughts?

Note: I was actually very well behaved today Tony!

apparently the blue wire isn't live???

yeah it is dont listen;) seriously though doubling up? have to say I never do (chews on pillow and prepares to get flamed by every forum member):p

I remember having to measure length of each conductor and them being checked by lecturer

yeah it is dont listen;) seriously though doubling up? have to say I never do (chews on pillow and prepares to get flamed by every forum member):p

I was told (when I was working) to only double up on the really thin stuff as it's so brittle it keeps breaking once you tighten the screws on it.

I remember having to measure length of each conductor and them being checked by lecturer

Seriously?

I was told (when I was working) to only double up on the really thin stuff as it's so brittle it keeps breaking once you tighten the screws on it.

Seriously?

All conductors should be doubled over ,if there on there own ,not doing so is crap connecting and results in loose connections and in a lot of cases loss of your job ,so always do it!and why dont the smiles work ,is it my pc ,or is any one else having trouble?
Oh and well done Bane ,it will get easier as you go on mate

All conductors should be doubled over ,if there on there own ,not doing so is crap connecting and results in loose connections and in a lot of cases loss of your job ,so always do it!and why dont the smiles work ,is it my pc ,or is any one else having trouble?
Oh and well done Bane ,it will get easier as you go on mate

IMO depends on csa size (talking stranded here) and if possible on any connection using stranded cable I will use bootlace ferrules not possible in plugs though

still have my job for now though, cant remember a single instance of any of my connections coming loose so there! :p

and yeah Bane seriously to the mm!!!

IMO depends on csa size (talking stranded here) and if possible on any connection using stranded cable I will use bootlace ferrules not possible in plugs though

still have my job for now though, cant remember a single instance of any of my connections coming loose so there! :p

and yeah Bane seriously to the mm!!!

Good point ,i use bootlace ferrules whenever i can mainly in panels ,i dont think many domestic sparks use them and i know of 4 guys who all at different times have lost there jobs due to crap connections ,one guy didnt even strip the cable ande he connected over 100 lights,about 30 worked ,another guy left so much copper sticking out it shorted on the box ,another fella put some 35mm lugs on an armourd with a hammer,all im saying is crap work does exist and if the company wants to get shot of someone bad connections are a good starting point:)

Hi Bane, the 17th edition bit is correct if you took it as part of the 2330, but if it is stand alone (2381) then its Sep 01 or later for the update

and well done on your first day.........:)

Bum.

And there was me thinking I could already have an argument with the course tutor :(

Thanks again for asking people, next week should be more interesting.

One of the guys I met there yesterday asked me what is the big difference between the blue and the brown wires.

"It still works" He said.

....What is the difference? I know blue is neutral, brown is live. I also know, "It still works" isn't an argument!

Is this a stupid question? :eek:

Oh and good to see your smiley's working again Rum ;);)

Hi Bane

Sorry to hear you're not feeling too good at the moment.

I got my first day at Gloucester college this coming Monday. It's been a bit of a long time for me as well since I been in class room, so I'm not too sure what to expect.

I was wondering if I'm going to have buy a lot of books right from the start? Have they given you a list of books to buy?

David

I had a lecturer trying to prove that he could double over 16mm2 meter tails into a main switch. So there are places where it cannot be done ???

Hi Bane

I got my first day at Gloucester college this coming Monday. It's been a bit of a long time for me as well since I been in class room, so I'm not too sure what to expect.

I was wondering if I'm going to have buy a lot of books right from the start? Have they given you a list of books to buy?

David

Good luck David - I finished at Gloscol this summer. Give my best to Chas, Phil etc.. (Lecturers)

Hi Bane

David

Hi David,

Thanks mate, feeling much better now :)
Like I said, our first day was basically introductions (Hi my name is Chris....). inductions (whilst in the workshop you will not electrocute...) and course outline (throughout this course we will cover...).

As for books, we haven't been told anything yet. I was just told to bring:

Overalls (full)
Safety boots
2 A4 Lever Arch files
Dividersx2 (numbered 1-20)
Plastic wallets (for placing A4 sheets of paper in, I bought 100)
Writing padx2 (One for workshop, one for theory)
Stationary (pens,pencils,ruler etc)
Scientific calculator

Good luck for Monday David!

Glad it well bane, had my first day today! bit of a shock being back in a classroom but was good!

Reply to Bane...how did college go today? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock