Discuss Bane...how did college go today? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Monty.

Have a good weekend? Today went well. VERY basic in the workshop. Learnt minimal radial bends, clip spacing and...That's it, really.

Theory, covered various H&S regulations HASAWA and it's affiliated regs EAWR, building regs, etc.

That's about it really. Seems to be going VERY slow but, I guess it's aimed at complete beginners (which I am).

On another note, have 2 job interviews tomorrow so fingers crossed!!!

great news about the interviews, college is always slow gettin started and believe me you will be wishin you had the time at the end of the year lol

weekend was s**t, thursday was a nightmare had a on the spot Tescos audit on site and that always causes chaos and then Friday was short staffed so I had to do 6am til 10pm! to follow all that had lighting to do (picked up on audit) so very boring hard work (see my thread in tools bit).

but 4 off now :)

who are interviews with?

Sorry to hear your weekend was ----, Monty.
6am till 10pm? You must be loaded :)

As for my interviews, one is with a 'mobility scooters' firm. Repairing mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs (think they'll give me one as transport?).
Not ideally what I'm looking for but will tide me over and could be interesting.

Second one is with an electrical contractor. Went in on off chance last week and they said they'd just placed an advert for a fully qualified sparks. Told them that's not me then! Explained I was willing to do most anything.

Anyway, got a phone call today from the Grand Fromage and he said, "Seen your CV and you mentioned you were looking for a labourers job. Is that all your willing to do?"

"No, that's bottom rung of what I want." (then went on to explain my experience, that I'm at college etc)

He said that's great and could I come in to see him tomorrow.

So I am!

Well done bane,

I started my first year of 2330 today too. North London. Was good, nothing doing in workshop as majority of class hadnt bothered to bring steel toe boots. Science was all about transformer and 3 phase. and the theory was about mechanics. movement = distance x force, velocity ratio, trasposing formulaes etc..

Half of the class glazed over and went to sleep. The other half changed colour.

enjoyed it a lot.

Hello mate sorry had to go out this evening

The interviews sound promising (second one more) even the first will be good for experiance and actually would be a good laugh, one of the engineering supervisors where I work had the same job a few years ago and loved it, used to have wheelchair races and stuff round the workshop.

Not entirely sure what your course involves (been a few yrs since my 2360) but any problems i will help if i can (being that i am also back into education and we all need to stick together!!!)

How are you with calculus:)

Hello bobajob!

Good to hear your also starting your course and your finding it interesting!
As I said, our theory just seems tobe H&S for now (and will be up until Xmas).

Hello Monty! :)
Calculus, partial fractions, mode, median and mean. No problems mate. Maths is my strong point. Don't worry you['ve still got 2 weeks to get upto scratch!

Hi people. Quick update regarding the interviews I had today.

Went to the Mobility Scooters place, soon as I met the Gaffer I took a dislike to him. Workplace was EXTREMELY clean (bonus), but the atmosphere was like the employees were walking on egg shells.

Guy 'interviewed' me, seemed more interested in asking about my private life rather than quals (or lack thereof).
Then said, "If you like going out at the weekend and spending your money, you won't last here!"
Ok, that doesn't bother me (as I'm not a big drinker and my weekends generally consist of the gym and going out for a meal in the evening or having a takeaway and watching a dvd/tv) but what a shi*e comment to come out with, as if I'm 16yrs old.

Anyway, that went ----, said he'd send me an e-mail regarding the job spec (still waiting but not holding my breath).

Just thought I'd let you all know.

(Where the bloody hell is Tony.Towa tonight?)

Well, that was the first interview Cirrus :)

Second one was slightly more promising and went something like this:

The interview was cool. I got there and we just chatted sh*t for a while about my time living/working in Malta then he asked me what experience I had within the electrical trade.

I was honest and told him it was quite minimal, 6 month contract on a new sports centre and...That's it as far as my experience goes.

Told him I found the trade very interesting and the reason I was at college now is because I want to take this as far as I can, eventually become fully qual'd and that I'm in this for the long haul.

Then he came straight out and said they (the Co.) was very impressed with the way I'd shown initiative by coming in on the 'off chance' and that it also showed maturity and though they had no specific need for anybody (except 1 vacancy for a fully qual'd sparks) they would be willing to offer me a full apprenticeship and would pay me for attending college and what would I think of that offer?

"F***ING RIGHT I'LL TAKE IT!" Is what I wanted to say!!!

But I played it cool and said I had a couple more interviews to attend and that I'd think about it.
He replied that I could take my time as the offer was open and they certainly had no-one else in mind.

I'm 29 and this is the type of offer that is specifically suited to the 2330 isn't it?
Also, how many offers am I going to get of a full apprenticeship at my age?
Erm...Nil? One in a blue moon?

Anyway, I went away, VERY HAPPY, to attend my "other interviews."

Back home I 'thought' about accepting the job/apprenticeship offer.

So, I phoned him up around 2.30pm and accepted the job and I start tomorrow!

I guess the moral of this story (if there is one) is that you do have to put yourself out there, phone, e-mail, visit in person, even if they're not advertising, something WILL turn up.

Thanks to all of you who've offered advice, encouragement, opinions, sexual favours and whatever (you know who you are!).

Finally got exactly what I wanted and just hope those of you on here looking for the same, are as fortunate as I am.

(Watch me win the bloody lottery now and not need to work)

Thanks again people.

C

[/QUOTE]Thanks to all of you who've offered advice, encouragement, opinions, sexual favours and whatever (you know who you are!).[/QUOTE]

I told you to keep it quiet, Mrs Doc has her own account now and will find out.:D:D

Well done mate, knew you would get there in the end.

bane ,
you mentioned walking in on the scooter job and the place didnt feel right .
i remember going for the interview at my current job .i was sat there waiting to be interviewed, staff were walking by being friendly .as you say you can get a feeling if the place is right

Spot on Bane well done mate....
No pressure at college now then, what with reports to the employer,questions when in work .................oh you'll love it:D

Hi Bane,

I'm here, just had a late finish, had to dress and gland in all the armoureds then had work on another site with emergency lights and automatic doors linked to the fire alarm.

Great news about the job, well done.:D

Beware of old electricians bearing gifts, you've read the thread about tricks played on apprentices :eek::eek:

Good luck for tomorrow "new boy"

Cheers

Tony

Your right your very lucky to have an offer of a full time apprenticeship at the age of 29, I know I dont know you, but I served my time at the ge of 20 and all though you do get stick sometimes for being a girl, it fade out really quickly once you show them you know what your talking about!!! All though the 2330 apprenticeship is mainly aimed at upto the age of 25, dont let that bother you its the fastest and easiest way of becoming qualified!! Good luck
Nic

Mr Bane,

does this mean you wont have time to help me answer all the really hard questions:p

Well done matey, well deserved

*claps Mr Bane for his sheer bloody mindedness and perseverence*:)

Reply to Bane...how did college go today? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net