Discuss Bang and flash from double plug socket in lounge in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

fliss

I have a double plug socket in wall behind tv in lounge. The socket has a four way extension plugged in and this is itermittenly flashing with a bang. I have switched off tv plus switched off at socket. I was told it could be fuse in plug of extension so changed fuse. It nanged again tonite so switched extension cable but has banged again so am assuming problem is with the socket. Any advice? Worried could cause a fire. Have left extension plugged in but switched off.

If the bang is coming from the four way extension block then the problem is in the four way extension block.
If sounds like there is a very brief short circuit occurring in the block, now this could be due to the items plugged into it, but if nothing is plugged into it then the best option would be to replace the four way extension block, they should only be about ÂŁ5.
If there are items plugged into it then you would need to check that thee was not a fault on one of those items.
Often if there has been a short on the plug to socket connection there will be signs of: overheating, soot on the plug pins or melted spots on the plug pins, if one of these is present then you would need to ensure the equipment connected to that plug is OK first, but you would still be advised to replace the four way extension as it could be damaged.

If the bang is coming from the four way extension block then the problem is in the four way extension block.
If sounds like there is a very brief short circuit occurring in the block, now this could be due to the items plugged into it, but if nothing is plugged into it then the best option would be to replace the four way extension block, they should only be about ÂŁ5.
If there are items plugged into it then you would need to check that thee was not a fault on one of those items.
Often if there has been a short on the plug to socket connection there will be signs of: overheating, soot on the plug pins or melted spots on the plug pins, if one of these is present then you would need to ensure the equipment connected to that plug is OK first, but you would still be advised to replace the four way extension as it could be damaged.

The bang and flash is coming from the socket on the wall. HAVE UNPLUGGED EXT CABLE AND PLUGGED IN A NEW EXT CABLE AND STILL GET A BANG AND A FLASH FROM THE SAME SOCKET ON THE WALL.

I KNOW I HAVE MICE BEHIND THAT WALL...COULD THEY HAVE CAUSED IT IE CHEWED WRING BEHIND WALL...OR IS IT MORE LIKELY TO BE A FAULTY WALL SOCKET?

If you know you have rodent activity then that could well be the problem, as they can gnaw the PVC of cables very effectively. However it might be that cabling to the socket inside the back box is damaged, or much less likely but still possible that it is a faulty socket front plate.
If you know how to do this safely and are certain that the socket circuit has been switched off then you could remove the socket front and look for damage.
If you are at all unclear then call an suitably qualified electrician.

Thanks for advice.

The house is nearly thirty years old. I have a spotlight in the same room which holds three spotlight bulbs. I dont use it now as everytime I replaced a bulb, it blew them out.

Will investigate the socket later today.

Reply to Bang and flash from double plug socket in lounge in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock