Discuss Banning of Low voltage (MR16) lamps next year!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

TSCOhave changed freezer lamps to LED there are lots of LED replacements for floory tubes coming out and prices are coming down BUT these are only economicaly viable for commercial where lighting is on long periods BUT there have been little mention of people like my mother who are light sensative and get headaches and stuff with intense lighting

wish they would drop the price of Halers , now they are a good fitting , wish i'd installed them in a house i did in march last year installed cfl down lighters with a 10,000 hour lamp life ye right replaced most of them allready

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, but going back 2 years now so I am sure they have progressed a fair bit. At the time I felt the light was a bit too direct. Fitted LED High Bays around the same time and same thing, light just not got enough spread (IIRC The High Bay cost about £400 a pop!)

I'm quite happy to recommend to a customer to change a downlight to LED, but wouldn't with a Fluorescent or discharge lamp as personally don't think the cost justifies it just yet.

Yeah, I`d agree on the "direct" light issue. I`m doing a refurb on a doctors surgery next month, at the moment the spec is HF Flourescents but may try a small room in LEDs. There will be diffusers fitted in the bays so that might make a difference, better or worse I dont know.

Shame, as i really rate these compared to GU10 crap

The amibience of light the 12v gives compared to a GU10 is far far cleaner/crisper

GU10 has that yellowy tinge to it and not to mention the lamps last 5 minutes

Currently had 4 x 12v fittings in my bathroom for almost 5 years, changed ONE lamp in that whole time, this is a bathroom which relys heavy on the lights as there is no window

Looks like ill have to stockpile some lamps then

wish they would drop the price of Halers , now they are a good fitting , wish i'd installed them in a house i did in march last year installed cfl down lighters with a 10,000 hour lamp life ye right replaced most of them allready

Halers have come down in price over the past year and have a seven year warranty. We have fitted a lot of these recently.

Reply to Banning of Low voltage (MR16) lamps next year!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net