Discuss Banning of Low voltage (MR16) lamps next year!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bright Sparks

Hi Guys,

Be aware!

Low voltage halogen lamps set to be banned from next year | Lux Magazine

IRC lamps are not a straight replacement for the normal MR16 lamps as they 'burn' hotter (Upto 400 Deg C) and cause problems with the paint and bezels (Paint bonding causing the bezels to lock to the body and making lamp changing almost impossible).

LED is also not a direct replacement as they flicker too much and are not a 'true' retro fit.

Your thoughts please!!

and good riddance. bye bye unreliable lamp holders, transformers, etc.

Hmm, phasing them out next year but not having a replacement until sometime before 2016. Perhaps we are going to be kept in the dark on this:winkiss:

just need to get some GU10 lampholders in then.

I have never understood why anyone would want to try to light a room with about a kilowatt of torches on the ceiling when they could do it with a couple of 60W GLS lamps, but maybe I was brought up to be overly frugal.

From a different perspective I feel the 'ban everything brigade' are a bit too quick to jump in before a suitable replacement is found, like when they were saying we had to fit pendants which could only take CFL lamps and there were thousands of unhappy customers left either struggling to find 3 pin BC lamps or having to fork out about 10 times as much for special PL pendant sets.

Realistically what SELV alternatives are there to MR16s apart from LEDs (which I think have come on in leaps and bounds but they're still not everyone's cup of tea)?

candles?

and good riddance. bye bye unreliable lamp holders, transformers, etc.

Don't know where you get your kit from Tel but we have just changed 4 transformers on an installation we did 5 years ago and their the first one's to go albeit there on C-B us dimmers but even so that is not bad

don't install them myself. just get the call-outs to try and get them working again.

Can't wait till the tabloids get a hold of this news, they seemed pretty devastated when the ceiling heaters went. I bet the anti change folk won't be taking into account the costs of calling a electrician out once a month to fix their 'traditional' burner

When one is faulty I always recommend to customer to change all lampholders to GU10 and fit LED's. Got a mountain of spare parts for the MR16's now though:rockstar:

I cant work it out,, global warming,, we all use too much electricity, the end of the world is here....
So ban them power draining lamps!!!
then you walk into any store that have 30+ high bay fittings with 400w mbfu lamps burning away for 20hrs a day just so my sunday joint looks nice!!!! then they ban us from using filerment lamps and fause us to use crappy cfl lamps... i think the goverment must employ people who's job it is to find stuff to ban!

Last edited by a moderator:
cant tell you how many times a customer has told me that they were told by the guy that fitted them that low voltage meant low energy and have been blissfully unaware how un energy efficient they are. Its happened so many times that some of the guys fitting them must have believed it themselves. Nothing more than a job creation scheme so you cab come back in a few years and replace the Tx.

Ive fitted a few that the customer has bought, trick lights etc, and part of sauna kits, things like that but the sooner they are banned the better as far as Im concerned. SMD LEDs, thats the way forward

Last edited:
I cant work it out,, global warming,, we all use too much electricity, the end of the world is here....
So ban them power draining lamps!!!
then you walk into any store that have 30+ high bay fittings with 400w mbfu lamps burning away for 20hrs a day just so my sunday joint looks nice!!!! then they ban us from using filerment lamps and fause us to use crappy cfl lamps... i think the goverment must employ people who's job it is to find stuff to ban!

never mind the stores. just look at all the government offices that are lit up like the final scene in close encounters all night long.

I`ve seen a few LED replacements for standard 4/5/6ft flourescents advertised, anyone tried those?
Yep, but going back 2 years now so I am sure they have progressed a fair bit. At the time I felt the light was a bit too direct. Fitted LED High Bays around the same time and same thing, light just not got enough spread (IIRC The High Bay cost about £400 a pop!)

I'm quite happy to recommend to a customer to change a downlight to LED, but wouldn't with a Fluorescent or discharge lamp as personally don't think the cost justifies it just yet.

Reply to Banning of Low voltage (MR16) lamps next year!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock