Discuss Barn conversion pricing. I'm baffled in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andystraughan

Hi gents I registered on this forum to hear your thoughts on the following please

its a barn conversion / cottage alteration and full rewire. I've priced for the cottage part as she wants it done in stages since there's a lot to do on the barn section before it's ready for electrics. Anyway apparently I've been beat on my price and I'm baffled

as followed; the cottage has 3 large bedrooms with 2 ensuites and a main bathroom , hallway stairs etc.

11 x double sockets through out
15 x chrome down lights
10 x tilt chrome down lights
7 x ip rated chrome down lights
5 x centre lights ( pendants)
each room has a 2/3 gang switch to switch lights separately
2 x mains smoke detectors

3 x timer fan installation 4 inch with isolation switches. Core holes excluded
3 x 9.5 kW shower supplies with pull cords - one for each ensuite

price includes making safe of old electrics for walls to knocked down.
the walls are solid stone so all sockets need chasing in etc..

new consumer unit with earth of gas tank And incoming water including full test

all in £2993,65

was I far off? I priced it like that so I would get the second part of the job which is the barn part

thoughts please would be greatly appreciated

Andy

That sounds very cheap to me. Did she say by how much you've been beaten? do you know for sure that she's had other quotes? Some customers will try it on etc to get you down on your price if they think it's too much. I would go as far as saying your price sounds too cheap. Understandable if you've gone in cheaper than normal to get more work

There will always be someone cheaper than you, dont get down about it, if thats the best price your willing to do the job for and shes just shopping for the cheapest quote theres nothing you can really do about it

Whats the main fuse supply like for those 3 showers

sometimes people just say they have cheaper quotes to make you drop your cost or will go back and forth and eventually pick the lowest, dont go along with it, stick to your price

When I get told that I'm over priced and they've had a cheaper quote I always have the same response...."on you go mate" sometimes you never hear from them again, other times they call you back and say "on second thoughts I'll let you do the job because you seem a bit more professional", as if they're doing you a big favour. I think they're just trying it on!

Whats the main fuse supply like for those 3 showers

there having there main incoming moved to a different location an upgrading the main fuse too 100 amp. I've tried talking her out of the showers.

the start date was Thursday gone

the second part which is the barn conversion is a decent sized job worth £6000+ That's what I'm more gutted about.

**** happens just wanted your opinion to see if my price was ok. When I went to see her to look around she was saying stuff like "cheap Andy im wanting it cheap" figures lol

thanks gents. Sure more will come

I say leave her to it mate, I can imagine she'd be a right pain of a customer anyway. Those who try to beat you down on price always are. She probably find someone who'll do it for £500 less that you but it'll be a sh*t shower of a job and neither party will be happy with the outcome

let her crack on then with Yarric/Darric/Roman...

you watch what happens...when she finds RCDs wont hold etc...then she may just ring you....

in fact she may just ring you after them lot have been in...see if you will issue a ticket for it....so you know what you says then as well...dont you...

let her crack on then with Yarric/Darric/Roman...

you watch what happens...when she finds RCDs wont hold etc...then she may just ring you....

in fact she may just ring you after them lot have been in...see if you will issue a ticket for it....so you know what you says then as well...dont you...

I had this t'other week, guy rang me up saying do I do certificates?, he tells me he did the install and I recognised his voice asked him was he in a certain area, and he said yes, cheeky bugga I quoted for couple of months before.He said he rewires his own house before and was having problems with his Rcd tripping and he had been doing stuff with electrics for years, but I know he's a driver so talking out his arse. I told him politely I don't sign others work off and left it at that, considering this particular job was worth 650 to start with, I highly doubt he would want to be paying 100 plus for a test and cert anyway so total time waster.

Well she finally called me back up. Asked if my price included led lamps to which I replied no because you wanted a cheap job. Then she says she's had a price off another electrician for £45 CHEAPER than mine and that included led lamps. "Can you match that?" No thanks!!!! Good luck to her with that job

Well she finally called me back up. Asked if my price included led lamps to which I replied no because you wanted a cheap job. Then she says she's had a price off another electrician for £45 CHEAPER than mine and that included led lamps. "Can you match that?" No thanks!!!! Good luck to her with that job

if thats even true theyll be ebay/chinese jobbies for £1.50 each and wont last the end of the job

Ive been particularly ****ed off today as anther spark has undercut me by 2k on a 6k rewire!

Im finding it hard recently to sell "quality" to customers, vast majority of folk not caring if its a crabtree consumer unit or a screwfix special for example. Im pricing 3 rewires tomorrow , 2 of which I know will be "cheap as possible please".....

Pricing always amazes and often annoys me. My brother runs a letting agency and I have never had any work via him because 'I can get it done cheaper elsewhere' and his clients will only pay the absolute minimum amount they can get away with. Apparently the going rate for fully qualified spark is about £60 a day!!! Just not going there

Reply to Barn conversion pricing. I'm baffled in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net