Discuss Barn conversion in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

simbin

I've recently been approached to do the electrical installation on a barn conversion, no problem straight forward! The problem is getting a supply in. The owners want to have the mains coming from their cottage about 23 metres away. They don't want the driveway digging up for a new supply as its only just been block paved. Is there anyway of separating the supply in the cottage or do they need a site visit from electric supplier to determine whats required???:)

And the power comes from???? Split meter tails in henly block?! Surely 100A fuse can't supply two consumer units??? (cottage & barn)

Its not too big-kitchen,lounge,one bedroom,bathroom. All electric, no gas. 3 panel heaters,hob, oven. SO.....25mm tails from isolator split in a henly block to feed consumer unit in cottage & metal clad switch fuse with swa on out going side is fine??

The cottage is PME. The following circuits to be installed; Shower (40A),Cooker(32A),Upstairs ring-8 points(32A),Downstairs ring-14 points(32A),Upstairs Lights-6 points(6A),Downstairs lights-6 points(6A),Smoke alarm-2 points(6A)

The cottage is PME. The following circuits to be installed; Shower (40A),Cooker(32A),Upstairs ring-8 points(32A),Downstairs ring-14 points(32A),Upstairs Lights-6 points(6A),Downstairs lights-6 points(6A),Smoke alarm-2 points(6A)

And the barn?

The cottage contains; Shower(40A),Cooker(32A),Upstairs ring-13 points(32A),Downstairs ring-14 points(32A), Kitchen ring-8 points(32A),Lighting circuit-13 points(6A)

Just been looking at the forum, there's one on there about exporting earths......a mixed bag indeed! Who's right,who's wrong?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
The mains water into the barn is through one big ugly piece of plastic, so no earth required.

Thanks to Bugsy & Pennywise for much help & guidance.:) I will go for splitting the meter tails & terminate into a 63A switch fuse but without putting a spike in. Thanks once again.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
You will still need to earth the water at the first piece of copper after the poly pipe enters the barn or get the plumber to put in a small length if he's doing the whole lot in plastic. cheers

Reply to Barn conversion in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net