Discuss Barn conversion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dnjr

-
Reaction score
Dear all

Have got a project for a barn conversation and the client wants to retain some feature walls as face brick
easy enough I hear you say, just drop down in galv conduit, bobs your uncle.
my query is that I'm guessing you can't get 2 x 2.5 t &e cables down 20mm conduit
the question is , would you just wire the whole barn in singles ? If so what do yo do when the cables are not in the conduit?
ie in stud work and under floors as in these places the cable won't be double insulated
or am I just over worrying

All advise much appreciated
Dnjr

Dear all

Have got a project for a barn conversation and the client wants to retain some feature walls as face brick
my query is that I'm guessing you can't get 2 x 2.5 t &e cables down 20mm conduit
the question is , would you just wire the whole barn in singles ? If so what do yo do when the cables are not in the conduit?
ie in stud work and under floors as in these places the cable won't be double insulated

Dnjr
it might be worth you using 25mm instead if your worried about it being tight etc.

Dear all

Dnjr

I dunno, i've never actually tried to get 2 X 2.5mm T&E cables down a 20mm or even a 3/4'' plastic or metal conduit!!

Dear all

Dnjr

If it's straight drops you are on about, then yeah you will. I have done it plenty of times. Although the best way to find out would be to draw them into a piece of conduit yourself, seeing as the design of a whole install apparently hinges on this factor.

Did one for a mate some years back,all cables were clipped along beams and brought down to positions in 20mm galv conduit,it goes in fairly easily if you make sure there are no twists in it.

if you make sure there are no twists in it.

:13:i usually manage to install conduit to a reasonable standard without twisting it.

There you go then, it seems that it is feasible to draw two 2.5mm T&E's into a 20mm conduit drop. What i don't understand is why didn't you check this out for yourself, especially as the whole socket installations design rests on if two cables are feasible in a 20mm conduit!!

On the topic, for thread jack, does anybody know a make of reproduction threaded industrial switches (like the old crabtree or walsall ones) for these sort of jobs? Or just 'decorative' surface metalclad accessories?

The old crabtree/ walsall ones would probably still work and just need rethreading or adapting but supply is a bit limited to ebay

Hi, yep I understand that I am designing and installing the installation. I was just after the thoughts and advise of others. As I work on my own it is often helpful to "chat things through" with other sparks and thought that forums were a good place to do so.
Not done a barn conversion before so thought I would ask. I'm not after anyone to design it for me, just chatting.
thanks to all for their input

On the topic, for thread jack, does anybody know a make of reproduction threaded industrial switches (like the old crabtree or walsall ones) for these sort of jobs? Or just 'decorative' surface metalclad accessories?

The old crabtree/ walsall ones would probably still work and just need rethreading or adapting but supply is a bit limited to ebay

Lewden still make the die cast switches, but they have plastic handles these days.

Reply to Barn conversion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net