Discuss Based on this a rewire was recommended FFS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Seriously??? FFS

That kind of rip off attitude is complete BS and is partly why when I needed out from behind the desk I decided on becoming a spark.
Just a personal question SC what was your job when you were flying a desk? only if you want to say, I'm just a naturally nosy git.

Just a personal question SC what was your job when you were flying a desk? only if you want to say, I'm just a naturally nosy git.

At 16 years old I wanted to be a spark or a software engineer.

I spent 20+ years writing software for a variety of things... running web hosting companies and the services they provide (achieved a couple of firsts in that role), producing catalogues for the likes of Argos and RS, running cash handling and ticketing machines, training nuclear plant control room staff, providing information to fire crews on the trucks and allowing them to use the mobile PC to communicate with control and access maps and such like. And for fun, I write computer games :)

In the course of working for the companies, I also got involved in bespoke electronics design (mainly for the cash handling and ticketing solutions) and network management, design and installation... amongst other things :D

At 16 years old I wanted to be a spark or a software engineer.

And for fun, I write computer games :)

In the course of working for the companies, I also got involved in bespoke electronics design (mainly for the cash handling and ticketing solutions) and network management, design and installation... amongst other things :D
Well done. I wouldn't have the faintest idea about all that stuff.
Mind you, when you mentioned 'for fun', with so much various experience, I thought you were going to mention a bit of pole dancing.....just to make ends meet :)

Well done. I wouldn't have the faintest idea about all that stuff.
Mind you, when you mentioned 'for fun', with so much various experience, I thought you were going to mention a bit of pole dancing.....just to make ends meet :)

LOL... are we talking scaffold pole?

I also knit, I can crotchet (but badly), I like to go walking, I like to cycle, I dabble with MIDI and music stuff and I occasionally make bramble jelly jam and rose hip syrup :) They are my calmer pursuits... maybe not the cycling as I do that to try and get fit :) Oh, and I play quite a few computer games as well :D

I also knit, I can crotchet (but badly), I like to go walking, I like to cycle, I dabble with MIDI and music stuff and I occasionally make bramble jelly jam and rose hip syrup :) They are my calmer pursuits... maybe not the cycling as I do that to try and get fit :) Oh, and I play quite a few computer games as well :D
No horses?

…..flag pole, telegraph pole, Rumpole………..maybe South Pole, for all our sakes:D

No horses?

Hell no... too expensive and I have no desire to look like a thing on a string bouncing up and down on the back of one as it trots down the road thinking to itself 'where's the best place to buck this bitch off my back!' :D

My house mate and I have a dog and she's enough hard work on the animal front.

Silly question but was that the only reason they recommended re-wire. And there is no confusion i.e. that they said that part needs to be re-wired? It's just I find hard to beleive that people are so unscrupulous and maybe there were other factors that made them say that. But I assume you do mean that everything else was ok?

Dont you know, If the switch isn't fed,
It needs a rewire ;).

I had a fault last year, main switch RCD was tripping due to a faulty RFC.
2 electrical firms had been out to find the fault, both failed.
The people were quoted for a rewire.
Thankfully the lady whos house it was worked with my wife and when she told me I offered my service as a third opinion.
Turns out it was a fault on a socket in the extension which was spured from the ring via a JB under the floorboards.
Took me around 2 hours total.

They paid over £400 to the previous 2 firms labour.

Sad that this sort of stuff happens due to the electricians lack of knowledge.

Hell no... too expensive and I have no desire to look like a thing on a string bouncing up and down on the back of one as it trots down the road thinking to itself 'where's the best place to buck this bitch off my back!' :D

My house mate and I have a dog and she's enough hard work on the animal front.
“Dangerous at both ends & crafty in the middle”.
Horses. Not Sparky Chick.

Reply to Based on this a rewire was recommended FFS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net