Discuss basic and fault protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Ryan Kavanagh

hi guys,

whats the difference between basic and fault protection.

am i right in guessing fault protection is the means of earth were as basic protection is means of instulation of wires, ect

hi,

thanks for your reply, i just checked out. At least i was on the right track.

so equipotential bonding would also come under fault protection then wouldnt it.

hi guys,

whats the difference between basic and fault protection.

am i right in guessing fault protection is the means of earth were as basic protection is means of instulation of wires, ect

Yeah, you're pretty much there.

Basic protection is insulation, barriers, enclosures, placing out of reach and SELV/FELV/PELV.

Fault protection is use of RCD's, earthing etc...

RCD's are also classified as additional protection just to confuse you a little :)

Hi I have a question:

The initial inspection is being carried out at the distribution board (CCU) in the intake room of a property.

List three items providing fault protection within this area of the installation.

PS. How do I start my own thread/ post? I am new and there is no option for me to say I can start a new post haha. It's confusing for me. Thanks

Hi I have a question:

The initial inspection is being carried out at the distribution board (CCU) in the intake room of a property.

List three items providing fault protection within this area of the installation. have a go yourself first

PS. How do I start my own thread/ post? I am new and there is no option for me to say I can start a new post haha. It's confusing for me. got to top of page and click on "forum". then select an appropriate forum for your thread. then click "post new thread", enter a title and make your post.Thanks

my comments in red.

Hi, I have no experience of electrical installation apart from the forty pages I've read in the book I'm studying. A rubbish book too, which is confusing on this subject. I tried reading 414.2 and ended up spending half hour looking up the various terms I've never come across before. Can someone please explain the difference between basic and fault as if I'm the idiot I'm starting feel like??

Don't worry! Found a pdf in another thread that explains it all lovely. This one; http://electrical.------.org/wiring-...k.cfm?type=pdf

Hi, I have no experience of electrical installation apart from the forty pages I've read in the book I'm studying. A rubbish book too, which is confusing on this subject. I tried reading 414.2 and ended up spending half hour looking up the various terms I've never come across before. Can someone please explain the difference between basic and fault as if I'm the idiot I'm starting feel like??

May I ask why you are studying this book?

Ok, the best bet is to ask your tutor in college and your mentor. This is what doing your apprenticeship is all about, having your mentor and the college tutors to ask questions of and learn from.

Ok, the best bet is to ask your tutor in college and your mentor. This is what doing your apprenticeship is all about, having your mentor and the college tutors to ask questions of and learn from.

My tutors are only available til 1 on weekends, and the time I have to study is limited as I already have a pet care business which is pretty much 24/7. I completely agree with you, my tutors have been helpful so far, this forum seems like it could be really useful out of hours though. I've found answers to questions I had in few old threads already. It's not an apprenticeship, I'm working full time at my own business which means I have to study at 5am and weekends, also means I have no practical sense of what I'm studying. Not moaning though, I'll get there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, my mistake.
You said you were studying to become an electrician and the only way to become an electrician is to complete an apprenticeship. So you can see why I made the assumption.

No, this is not a public service to provide answers to electrical questions, it is a forum for open and honest discussion of questions, facts, opinions etc.

The poor guy has likely been conned by a training provider into thinking he will become an electrician by doing a short course, it is only fair to help him see through the con!

Sorry, my mistake.
You said you were studying to become an electrician and the only way to become an electrician is to complete an apprenticeship. So you can see why I made the assumption.
Oh you mean like Faraday, Tesla, Swan and Lincoln who all undertook apprenticeships and weren't self taught much…thank god for apprenticeships its the best way to get cheap labour apart from slavery :).

To the best of my knowledge none of the gentleman you mention were electricians, the trade did not exist then.
However an apprenticeship was the only way to qualify as a tradesman in their day.

Apprenticeships are not a means of gaining cheap labour but the only way to learn a trade properly.

I beg to differ, all the gentlemen were electricians, its just been dumbed down ever since. Apprenticeships are cheap labour, it isnt the "being in an apprenticeship and working for peanuts" that teaches you the basic theory, it is education which does that. You can learn hands on without being in an apprenticeship quite easily.

Reply to basic and fault protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net