Discuss Basic installation techniques in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey all
I am suffering with 'engineers no good' syndrome.
My engineers are installing intruder and cctv systems, and know the tech side of it fine.
But, having never done an apprenticeship or site time, they just lack the basic skills of how to install cabling etc.
I have been out to site (I am a sparky) and shown them over and over again, but its just not sticking.
Give them a door contact that needs a bracket... they glaze over. Show them a cable run that isn't a straight bit of YT2, they panic.
My only real option I think, is to find new installation engineers who have that site experience and put my engineers with them to gain some install knowledge. Expensive way to train.
Don't think there are course for basic install thinking!

Hey all
I am suffering with 'engineers no good' syndrome.
My engineers are installing intruder and cctv systems, and know the tech side of it fine.
But, having never done an apprenticeship or site time, they just lack the basic skills of how to install cabling etc.
I have been out to site (I am a sparky) and shown them over and over again, but its just not sticking.
Give them a door contact that needs a bracket... they glaze over. Show them a cable run that isn't a straight bit of YT2, they panic.
My only real option I think, is to find new installation engineers who have that site experience and put my engineers with them to gain some install knowledge. Expensive way to train.
Don't think there are course for basic install thinking!
Think that's the trouble with today "engineers" they have all the theory but very little installation experience, example my Sister wanted a socket in her hallway, right under the CU, yes I could have it simples, but she is some 150 miles away, anyway Matey turns up all suited and booted with NICEIC emblazoned all over his van, shirt etc, trouble was he wanted to chase the cable down the wall ,ruin all her decorations, he had apparently no idea of how to clip the cable down the door jam, along the skirting, it was how his course tutors told him how to do it, I did it in the end saved her £150 he was going to charge her.

Sounds like they are possibly just lazy or to idle to think.

Lazy... on the nose. Its easier for me to say 'oh for **** sake' and go out and sort the problem.
Friday I get a call regarding 2x industrial alarm door contacts. Horizontal mounting on a vertical roller door.
All it needs is a pair of 90 degree brackets from Toolstation opposite and a couple of nuts and bolts.
I may as well have been speaking Spanish for the looks I got.
So... in the end, I sorted it in about 20 minutes. They didn't even bother to watch me get over the problem, so that they learn for next time.

Bangs head on table....

Lazy... on the nose. Its easier for me to say 'oh for **** sake' and go out and sort the problem.
Friday I get a call regarding 2x industrial alarm door contacts. Horizontal mounting on a vertical roller door.
All it needs is a pair of 90 degree brackets from Toolstation opposite and a couple of nuts and bolts.
I may as well have been speaking Spanish for the looks I got.
So... in the end, I sorted it in about 20 minutes. They didn't even bother to watch me get over the problem, so that they learn for next time.

Bangs head on table....
Steve, 5week wonders were they? sounds like a bunch of Morons you have working for you/

There is a lot of common sense involved maybe they just aren't interested in doing the hard work

Reply to Basic installation techniques in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock