Discuss Basic testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

yellowfin7

Ok, so I am in college studying a level 2 course (2365) and its coming to the end of year were we have to do a practical installation and then testing. I've taken the test once and failed.

My tutor, taught me and others things that are contradicted both in the On Site Guide, a book by Trevor linsley and a few other resources but we have to do it his way or we fail.

We have to do a ring final, radial, lighting circuit and bonding onto copper (gas) pipe. We wired the full thing in singles on 2.5mm and 1.5mm for the lighting circuit. The radial is Steel wired armour leading to a industrial socket.

I received the notice i failed and the reasons why. I failed on my inspection and testing. The reason i failed was because of the way i tested the bonding (gas pipe). I set my megger to ohms and then put on test probe on the earth terminal and the other directly applied to the pipe. I recorded my results as instructed to do so by my tutor in previous lessons and also recorded the testers serial number. This is why i failed but no explanation of what exactly it is i did wrong. Does anyone know? my resit is in a few days and im struggling to discover my error.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section

The installation must be isolated when doing the test and you should have removed the bond from the main earth terminal and tested between the disconnected cable and the gas bond.

The installation must be isolated when doing the test and you should have removed the bond from the main earth terminal and tested between the disconnected cable and the gas bond.

He has hit the nail on the head. The reason you must disconnect the main bonding conductor is to eliminate parallel paths that you may get through other connections to the earthing terminal, usually through supplementary bonding. So just to expand on Blowcats explanation.

Carry out safe isolation procedures.
Lock off.
Disconnect the main protective bonding conductor at the MET.
Connect your LOW RESISTANCE OHMMETER (not Megger) to the end of the conductor and to the pipework adjacent to the bonding clamp, and test, you must connect to the pipework to test the integrity of the clamp.
Expect a reading of about 0.05ohms.
Once you have completed the test, then before you do anything else make sure you reconnect the bonding conductor.
The test method for this is referred to as test method 2 or the long lead method, and is well covered in guidance note 3.

your tutor should have told you what you failed on and why, and then pointed you in the right direction so you cold find out what to do about it.

Cheers...............Howard

This thread might be better in the trainee section! Don't want him shooting to bits cos he has posted in the wrong area. One for you Paul M.

Cheers...............Howard

Hi Yellowfin7

We have a trainee section the would probably suit you well if you're currently on a training course. Please read this and do the necessary so you can be considered for access.

Reply to Basic testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock