Discuss Basics of doorbell wiring (is there an L and N or 2 Ls?) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Few question, basics ones, does this diagram below show that (at the doorbell, the switch, not the chime) there is a live and switched live? As in, is the only neutral the power source to the chime (on the left?)

1603101465874.png

If so, is the idea of swapping this out for a digital/camera doorbell (e.g. ring, nest etc.) to make sure a live AND a neutral is taken instead of just the live?

What you need to find out is if the cable (2 core) from the bell push goes to a convenient location to mount the power supply that comes with the new doorbell.

What you need to find out is if the cable (2 core) from the bell push goes to a convenient location to mount the power supply that comes with the new doorbell.
But as it stands, the bell push has 2 lives, is that correct? Both of the cores going to it are live? But a modern day ring/nest doorbell must have a L and N instead, is that correct?

Thanks mate

it is difficult to know.

it is a power cable and a switch return.

if the transformer has one side of the secondary coil connected to ground then yes, it is probably a 6 or 12v Live and a Neutral connection.

if the transformer secondary coil is not connected to ground you have an isolated ac voltage and neither are live or neutral but there will be a voltage between them again probably 6 to 12v AC

if the transformer has a rectifier between the secondary winding and the output terminals, you have a DC voltage output. again this is probably in the 6 to 12v region but DC and the wires would be deemed 0v or -
and +12v or +

Reply to Basics of doorbell wiring (is there an L and N or 2 Ls?) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net