Discuss basket tray in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
Your feelings please,we,ve got a real gud job,1st fixin up to 32 hotel bedrooms,the only down side is this.Basket tray thru out the roof space,ok,then running plastic pipe to all electric points.This piping needs to be bac to the basket tray,the cabling specified is 2.5 fp,due to volt drop etc.Can u actually think that we r goin 2 pull fp cabling into a 25mm pipe,this pipe wiill go into the roof space 2 the tray,the difficulty is the lenght of piping & the bends 2 get 2 the tray,3-4 meters of pipe & if lucky only 2x45,s,.THe designer wants a fully re-wireable system,wat happened 2 the gud old conduit & trunkin days,your comments much appreciated, ta ra bab

Its unusual to come across anything other than -- singles, trunking, and conduit -- OR -- t&e, tray/basket and going straight down the partition or capped if its brick--, that's my experience anyway. Sounds like he needs to specify more distribution boards if you are having issues with voltage drop. Personally yes I can see it being possible to pull down 2x2.5fp cables down a 25mm pipe if you had to, wouldn't fancy trying to do it everywhere though. That's just my experience anyway maybe others think this is the way it should be done. Would be good to hear some other opinions. I personally have never come across a building where all electrical accessories are wired with fire protected cable.

why FP. ? volt drop on FP will be no less than T/E.

Is that FP or XLPE (LSF)?
This sounds like a bit of a strange setup to me - surely you'd have 2 sizes of cable - 1 for lighting and 1 for power, then a submain for each floor/area?

It seems the preferred install method nowadays is t&e in basket then dropped down in tube rather than using singles and plastic trunking.
Swings and roundabouts I suppose - it's easier to lay t&e in basket than a bunch of singles in trunking, but then it's easier to get singles down conduit.

If it's to be "fully rewireable" what kind of access is there, ie how are the ceilings constructed?

Fp cabling apparently as the same csa of cables ie.2.5 cpc & conductors thanks for your input

Yeah its Fp cable,2.5 for power 1.5 for lighting,roof area where basket is laid will be a walkway, the basket laid above thermal insulation to the right.jus a pig ,gettin the fps drawn in2 the conduits.Wud of perferred cabling,then placin in2 conduits,but oh no plasterers r cumin rush rush rush,cheers every1 ta ra bab

I don't see why having all the conductors the same csa would be that important, or why you couldn't just do the whole lot in flex. Saying that I've seen an office wired all in swa before now...

seems odd
the larger cpc will reduce the Zs-no benefit for volt-drop

expensive too?

sub-mains and larger radials or rings to improve VD

maybe they're thinking the FP will disconnect automatically if it's penetrated -don't think it's designed for that purpose

Last edited by a moderator:
premier/travellodge have one Db for 2 rooms 10mm to the db then 2.5 radial for 3,4 sockets each room n 1.5 for lighting twe tray or basket along corridor Easy as pie but repetative

Rather you than me pulling 2 2.5 fps down 25mm tube sounds all wrong to me Would of done T&E in basket and capped down walls nothing wrong with that at a push lsf t&e

try it with the help of a little yellow 77 if that dose;nt work demonstrate to CE and ask for SI to upgrade to 32mm

Best of luck with it.......bonkers IMO!

Galv trunking with PVC conduit & singles would be an option if galv conduit is out of the question.

bonkers is the word. I've never heard of such tosh. a whole installation in FP200??? Yellow 77 to get it down a 25 mm conduit. Done that. But WHY??? Someone needs to shoot the designer. I can only assume you are working to the spec. In which case, it's a case of 'ours is not to reason why, ours is just to do and die. Or get 2 2.5 mm FP200 down a 25 mm tube with 2+ 45 bends. Laughing.

Good luck fella.

Bonkers.

bonkers is the word. I've never heard of such tosh. a whole installation in FP200??? Yellow 77 to get it down a 25 mm conduit. Done that. But WHY??? Someone needs to shoot the designer. I can only assume you are working to the spec. In which case, it's a case of 'ours is not to reason why, ours is just to do and die. Or get 2 2.5 mm FP200 down a 25 mm tube with 2+ 45 bends. Laughing.

Good luck fella.

Bonkers.
Thanks for all comments,exactly how i feel bout it,BONKERS,installin nxt week,i will let u all no wots goin on,until then hav a gud 1 ta ra bab

The designer (not mentioning or implying any particular company or names here)is maybe trying to take the psss they dont have a clue, that set up is silly, it is in no way rewireable and will never pass the building standards for a Hotel either, or a Fire safety survey before sign over/handover.....not a chance.....it has to be fully done in singles and metal conduit/Trunking for ALL mains power, the fire Alarm and Telephone/Data and CCTV can be done in plastic conduit but NOT the mains supplies....the designer has just decided that basket can get thrown in with a set of bolt cutters and one of those clip bending tools...and thinks that a quick chop with a hacksaw and a bit of solvent cement will allow for a quick throw in of (plastic) containment....
What if the cores get damaged, the Aluminium conductors dont like being bent too much in FP......and what about 3 Phase supplies for the ventilation and other things...and heavier loads such as long corridors full of lights...and the Earthing standards....?????.....FP is ok for small lighting circuits with a small load, and for fire exit signs etc.....but not for sockets....it has different properties than copper singles and is not really suited to continuous loading...

If it gets an inspection prior to hand over, it will fail and they will tell you to rip out the walls and do it all again.....in metal and singles....I have seen this happen one time before in a Hospital building and the walls were all painted up and everything....it was "get it out now" and they spent 3 weeks re-doing the whole floor of the building.....cost something like 70 grand when you take into account the fine that they got as per contract for late final hand over/completion...although that was an NHS inspection team from the head estates office who were going round everything with a magnifying glass...maybe the customer wants that but I doubt it...

I agree. It may be worth asking the designer whether he meant XPLE and not fp. If I wanted it rewireable I would specify singles in conduit and trunking.

The only place where I have seen fp used electrically is the supply to the fire alarm spur which please correct me if I'm wrong is what the fire alarm guys prefer you to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why shouldnt TWE be used grant??? Iv been testing hotels recently and they are all TWE except os lighting AC fans switchrooms All rooms are TWe what "Standard " does this break ?? Senior Member basket tray {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Join Date Jan 2011 Posts 397 Thanks 122 Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts

basket tray {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Re: basket tray

The designer (not mentioning or implying any particular company or names here)is maybe trying to take the psss they dont have a clue, that set up is silly, it is in no way rewireable (How does this matter??)and will never pass the building standards for a Hotel either( Where is this information?), or a Fire safety survey (A What?)before sign over/handover.....not a chance.....it has to be fully done in singles and metal conduit/Trunking for ALL mains power,( WHO Says?) the fire Alarm and Telephone/Data and CCTV can be done in plastic conduit but NOT the mains supplies....the designer has just decided that basket can get thrown in with a set of bolt cutters and one of those clip bending tools...and thinks that a quick chop with a hacksaw and a bit of solvent cement will allow for a quick throw in of (plastic) containment....
What if the cores get damaged, the Aluminium (???) conductors dont like being bent too much in FP......and what about 3 Phase supplies for the ventilation and other things...and heavier loads such as long corridors full of lights.)Now normaly LEDs or small flourys)..and the Earthing standards....?????.....FP is ok for small lighting circuits with a small load, and for fire exit signs etc.....but not for sockets..( Most tescos use 4mm FP for sockets as clipping to purlin looks better than TWE and loading charecteristics are BETTER than TWE)..it has different properties than copper singles and is not really suited to continuous loading...

If it gets an inspection prior to hand over, it will fail and they will tell you to rip out the walls and do it all again.....in metal and singles....I have seen this happen one time before in a Hospital building and the walls were all painted up and everything....it was "get it out now" and they spent 3 weeks re-doing the whole floor of the building..( The reason for this is probably down to job SPEC by client and the contract designer not adhearing to it )...cost something like 70 grand when you take into account the fine that they got as per contract for late final hand over/completion...although that was an NHS inspection team from the head estates office who were going round everything with a magnifying glass...maybe the customer wants that but I doubt it...​

Reply to basket tray in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock