Discuss Bath and shower with 13amp plugs ???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just done first fix on a new bathroom and customer has a new whirlpool bath being installed and a steam shower very fancy and both with radio etc etc.
However they have both been purchased on web from abroad.
Both have come with creepage protectors fitted inline with a 13A plug on each.

My first thought is the plugs have to go and permanent connections to be made under bath and shower. The creepage protectors are, I assume RCD'S and as long as i have fitted an RCBO on the ring at the consumer unit i can remove them.

Questions are - Why would they fit 13A plugs ?
Can anyone see any reason why I should not remove them (other than the fact the
guarentee will probably be void, but the customers ok with that)
And is a creepage protector another term for an RCD (looks same with light, swith
and test button)

Not sure why they would fit a 13A plug on stuff like this? the mind boggles.
I would not think twice about removing the plugs.
I have fitted lots of spa baths and I tend to spur off the ring with a switched fused connection unit, if no rcd protection on ring fit a rcd spur(powerbreaker) or the like,
I use ip rated adaptable box with fixed terminals under bath and gland cables into this for final connection.
Cheers Chris.

I have fitted spa baths ect and shower pumps and always use FCU under the bath.Thinking about the 13A plug and then referring to reg 537.3.2.1 it's perfectly acceptable to use the plug and socket for switching off/ isolation for mechanical maintenance, obviously in a special location like a bathroom it would have to be out of the zones so 3mAway or under the tub if you can't access it without a tool, it seems wrong but as long as you can functionally switch the shower/spa which u usually can then you wouldn't ever need to go to the plug

Not sure why they would fit a 13A plug on stuff like this? the mind boggles.
I would not think twice about removing the plugs.
I have fitted lots of spa baths and I tend to spur off the ring with a switched fused connection unit, if no rcd protection on ring fit a rcd spur(powerbreaker) or the like,
I use ip rated adaptable box with fixed terminals under bath and gland cables into this for final connection.
Cheers Chris.

Thanks. Thats just what I've done in the past and would do for this one. Just not sure about leaving the Creepage protector as it will be difficult to get to. Should probably remove it.

I think it would be better removed as some of them bath and shower panels are quite fragile should you ever need to get to them you don`t want to risk damaging the panels, And as you have 30mA rcd protection on the ring cant really see the point of them.

I think it would be better removed as some of them bath and shower panels are quite fragile should you ever need to get to them you don`t want to risk damaging the panels, And as you have 30mA rcd protection on the ring cant really see the point of them.

Yep will remove I think. Panel is going to be boarded and tiled anyway. Although will be screw points to remove ot would still be grouted and sealed down the edges.
Probably have to cut off too as it has some foreign triangle head screws, obviously desgined so can't easily be removed.
Cheers

Thanks. Thats just what I've done in the past and would do for this one. Just not sure about leaving the Creepage protector as it will be difficult to get to. Should probably remove it.

Technically it should never trip though unless something is wrong in which case you'd need to access under the bath anyway.

I've never heard of a creepage protector so googled it, below is some gen on the particular item I found. It's definitly a RCD, so I would cut it off and install as you stated.

Appliance leakage-current interrupter:
Got CCC, CE, VDE, ROHS.
Can do as client's request.
Appliance Leakage-current interrupter/PRCD/Electric leakage protection plug/Creepage protector/British:

It's Portable Residual Current Device for electric appliances. In case of electric leakge, it will automatically cut off the power and keep the human body safety.

It can be used in all electric appliance. Like, water heater, laundry, hair dryer, dish washer, ironning, mirco ovens etc.

The parameter as belows:

Rate voltage: 48-220V
Rate Current: 6A-16A
Leakage Current: 10mA/15mA/30mA
Tripping Time: 0.1s

alibaba.com/product-gs/475270842/Appliance_Leakage_current_interrupter_PRCD_Electric.html <- if you put www. in front of this to see the plug

Reply to Bath and shower with 13amp plugs ???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net