Discuss Bathroom Bonding in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

ONIT

Evening To You All,

Can Anyone Tell Me If Its A No,no To Run 6mm Earth From Ring Main To Use As A Feed For , Supplementary In The Bathroom For Pipe Work.

Only One Light And Pull/switch In Bathroom ,old House Cant Get Feed From Lighting Circuit Everything Esle Is New And Up To 16th Ed.

Cheers

Because You Have Got To Run Cpc Off Lighting Circuit To Cross Bond Everything , But I Cant Get A Feed From Lights With Out Trasing Bath Room As Per Osg

god help us....if your lights are out of the zones then they don't need bondage at all...

I Was Nt Onabout Boning Lights , I Was On About Taking Feed From Lighting Cpc For Sup/bonding

Like the boys said, its 4 mm if not mechanically protected, 2.5mm if it is, and no, you dont take it back to the MET, you are trying to create an equipotential zone in the bathroom, not bring in problems from elsewhere

I am utterly confused as to where 6mm comes into it:confused::confused::confused:

Funny one this. Did a job for a mate the other day, cross bonding some pipes in a downstairs loo, and the plumber banged on that it was not 'right' if cable was smaller than 6 mill and that an earth should be picked up from somewhere, ie back of a nearby socket.
When asked where he got his information from, he just said that it was what 'everyone else' did, so it must be right.

Individual madness is quite rare, however communal madness is all to common

what would a thick plumber know,they take 10mm bonds off and when you tackle them about it they say well it dont do anything does it.

Yes indeed. Why do they feel the need to tell us our job, we dont go on about pipes , wastes & water regs do we. !

Funny one this. Did a job for a mate the other day, cross bonding some pipes in a downstairs loo, and the plumber banged on that it was not 'right' if cable was smaller than 6 mill and that an earth should be picked up from somewhere, ie back of a nearby socket.
When asked where he got his information from, he just said that it was what 'everyone else' did, so it must be right.

Individual madness is quite rare, however communal madness is all to common

erm..... by cross bonding I presume you are talking about supplementary equipotential bonding

Why the hell would you be doing that in a downstairs loo?:confused::confused:

*opens his regs........special locations.......extraneous conductive paths...... falls asleep and gives up*

any chance of that plumbers name:p

What Shakey says is correct. There's no such thing as a `feed` to a bathroom from the ring main or anywhere else. What's required is to create an equipotential zone in the bathroom (a Faraday cage in my day), this means connecting together all exposed conductive parts together using 4mm2 earthwire, so in practice you'd have a wire (unbroken) connected between hot and cold pipes; central heating pipes; shaver sockets; showers and lighting the idea being that they then all have the same earth reading so that in the event of a fault dangerous voltages can't be present. It's quite in order to use the cpcs of any supply cables and pipes within the bathroom for the bonding circuit, so for example you can connect the hot and cold pipes of a bath together - the cold pipe feeds the shower, run an earthwire from the shower pull switch to the light. If a shaver socket is connected from the lighting, that's earthed automatically. Thankfully, under the new regs we don't have to bother at all provided all incoming services are bonded.

So what has changed in the 17th that specifically affects the decision to not bond in the bathrooms now? Is it because bathrooms have to be on SELV or RCD/RCBO now or is it because the powers at be have just decided its no longer neccesary as long as incoming supplies are bonded...in which case what has changed as incoming was a necessity under the 16th.:confused:

Btw..nice write up jurassaic;)

So what has changed in the 17th that specifically affects the decision to not bond in the bathrooms now? Is it because bathrooms have to be on SELV or RCD/RCBO now or is it because the powers at be have just decided its no longer neccesary as long as incoming supplies are bonded...in which case what has changed as incoming was a necessity under the 16th.:confused:

Btw..nice write up jurassaic;)

under 17th:

no supplemntary if all circuits in bathroom ona 30mA RCd (which they must be), meet their disconnection times, and extraneous conductive paths of resistance of 1667 ohms or less to MET/Protective bonding

Lets be honest there are few extraneous paths in a modern bathroom anyway because of plastic piping

Is it important that the wire isn't broken? I'm installing supp bonding in care homes at the moment, and I have been cutting the wire when installing, and connecting it all up at the points of contact eg cold pipe, rad.

Is it important that the wire isn't broken? I'm installing supp bonding in care homes at the moment, and I have been cutting the wire when installing, and connecting it all up at the points of contact eg cold pipe, rad.

dont see why supp's have to be unbroken

I know it does with main bonds if you are running one cable out to gas and water, but supp's, you are not running a cable back, just connecting together extraneopus and exposed - so each bond is an entity in its own right - I can see no advantage of having an unbroken cable (and I have never heard of it)

under 17th:

no supplemntary if all circuits in bathroom ona 30mA RCd (which they must be), meet their disconnection times, and extraneous conductive paths of resistance of 1667 ohms or less to MET/Protective bonding

Lets be honest there are few extraneous paths in a modern bathroom anyway because of plastic piping

Thanks shakey for the explanation, does this mean selv on rcd is a must also, for the cable's protection? only if using a pull switch then no cables will be in the wall (less than 50mm) so am still a little confused to why rcd is needed for bathroom selv lighting
(or maybe i'm just having an elderly moment lol):eek:

Reply to Bathroom Bonding in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock