Discuss Bathroom downlighters no access above in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Just

Hi,
Bathroom has existing central fitting and no access above, how would you go about running cable for four GU10 IP65 downlighters across the ceiling through joists with minimal damage to ceiling and without re-plastering?

Also can you tell me what BS HR flex should I use out of JB to the lamp?

Thanks

Very difficult im afraid. Is there absolutely no way of accessing from above ??
If not it is practically impossible to do without some form of replastering/making good, as you would have to make some large holes in ceiling in order to drill joists feed cable e.t.c

If there is no access above you would have to chop the board around the joists to drill to specifications within docP to pass cable, Then make good after but if you use a JB that would then not be accessible and defy regs. This is notifiable work and can only be done by a competent trained person and if you don't know what cable to use then call a spark to avoid danger of fire etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dazza I could go from above but it's furniture out, carpet up and chipboard T&G so hassle + pay for a carpet fitter as they never look the same without. Was hoping someone was going to suggest a neat method of stitching through with long drills and cable rods etc, the JB would be accessible above the downlight hole. Was checking if there was a specific HR cable for concealment and specifically for downlighters as opposed to standard lighting HR cable, don't worry Marty, I'll look it up.:)

Just recently my brother in law had a new kitchen fitted by a big well known kitchen and bathroom company. They asked me to quote to do the lighting and my suggestion was to use the bedroom above to gain access.

In the event they went with the big company and they did it all from below, and all they made were small slots in the ceiling at each joist - so one would imagine that the cables are lying on the plasterboard!

Just recently my brother in law had a new kitchen fitted by a big well known kitchen and bathroom company. They asked me to quote to do the lighting and my suggestion was to use the bedroom above to gain access.

In the event they went with the big company and they did it all from below, and all they made were small slots in the ceiling at each joist - so one would imagine that the cables are lying on the plasterboard!
did that myself once. clipped cables to bottom of joists and filled holes after. when you think about it, it's only the same as buried in plaster in a wall. so as long as RCD protected, no problem.

did that myself once. clipped cables to bottom of joists and filled holes after. when you think about it, it's only the same as buried in plaster in a wall. so as long as RCD protected, no problem.

As above that may be the only way besides when will someone put a nail or screw through your cable un the bathroom ceiling? Any future work will be electrical and should know what their doing if comes across it.

As above that may be the only way besides when will someone put a nail or screw through your cable un the bathroom ceiling? Any future work will be electrical and should know what their doing if comes across it.

I use the same trick, and nibble about 10mm of joist away to make sure cables dont stand proud.

Reply to Bathroom downlighters no access above in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net