Discuss Bathroom Downlighters in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all looking for your opinions on this. doing work for a regular customer. They have just moved into a new house. It has lots of problems which were caused by the guy who stayed there. The job is going to cost shed loads. So they want to avoid spaending money where it is not needed. The lights within the bathroom are at 2.35m so outside of the zones. they are protected by an rcd but they are only IP20. obviosly if within the zone would have to be ipx4/ipx5. But was looking on your veiws as to them being suitable as they are outside the zone.any help appriciated

Last edited:
Depends on the design of the light, according to the regs the IP rating for outside the zones is as per standard rules, however they also say that any accessory must be suitable for the location.
If the lights are above the shower then I would really recommend IPX4/5.

Such "surprises" would be avoided if homebuyers were encouraged, or forced to have an EICR prior to purchase.

You could leave the downlighters in place and just address the cabling, which if you started again wouldn't take too long (assuming the bathroom isn't enormous!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the design of the light, according to the regs the IP rating for outside the zones is as per standard rules, however they also say that any accessory must be suitable for the location.
If the lights are above the shower then I would really recommend IPX4/5.

well there are two bathrooms. one of the lights is above the shower cubicle and ive already reccomended to chang it. the other room has a bath and they are similar type ip20 but outside the zones.

the pictures really are only a fraction of what the install is like. aparently the gut is an istrument tech on the rigs ( scary)

Note the picture of the underunit SELV lights where the metal casing is pushed up against the line conductor (230)

If it comes to a vote,my vote will go to picture No 7

It sort of solves all the problems of city centre traffic snarl ups and other traffic flow problems
Its a shame this design was wasted for electrical wiring
It did have possibilities in the motor transport design arena

i must say i'm impressed with the legend on the loft board. pity he didn't concentrate his efforts on the wiring.

Worst thing is I reckon this was done by a sparks as there is lil chance of someone without knowledge making such a spiders nest and understanding it.. that to me is the scary bit

Reply to Bathroom Downlighters in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net