Discuss Bathroom Downlights Rcd Fcu in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bathroomboy

Will be installing some bathroom downlights on a job next,fairly established house not looked at the board yet, but probably dated, thinking of putting Rcd fcu in airing cupboard which is inside the bathroom, would this be acceptable i.e is the airing cupboard part of the bathroom or technically seperate?Thanks

Technically no.

Same reason a fan isolator isnt allowed in the bathroom.

However, being in an airing cupboard with, more then likely, an immersion switch and/or boiler controls makes it a difficult one to call!

Is there any way you can put it somewhere accessible outside the bathroom?

What else is in the bathroom ( electrically )? If only lights, then using an RCD fcu is the correct option. Location depends on where airing cupboard is relative to bath / shower. You might need to think about supplementary bonding too.

Theres a combi boiler in there with it electrical supply etc, thought of putting a stand alone rcd on the lighting circuit but don't want to get bogged down with a borrowed neutral, if I can help it.

Airing cupboard will back on to new shower wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know why you might get a borrowed neutral? Leave the combi boiler and supply alone. Like any fcu, the supply will have a feed in ( live and neutral and earth ) and probably a feed out. The load side will consist of a live and neutral that will need to go to a pull cord and then to the downlights. The RCD will protect the pull cord and the downlights.

Ideally, you want to put the RCD unit outside the bathroom. It's probably a bit more work, but better in the end.

Jason,
providing it is an outside zone where do the regs state that you cant have a fan isolator in bathroom.

Jason,
providing it is an outside zone where do the regs state that you cant have a fan isolator in bathroom.

Apologies, yes, didnt mention zones etc.

However, i have still yet to see any form of switchgear (apart from pullcords etc) in any bathroom, regardless of size and distance from zones.

Cheers. :)

Jason, was being pedantic but there is a difference between something being uncommon and something being not allowed. under the 16th edition some sparks used to look at me like a lunatic when i asked them where the requirement was to fit an rcd on a shower circuit other than manufacturers instructions. Back to switch gear in outside zones you would have to adhere to regs stating that eqpt must be fit for purpose according to its environment or location. But i would feel confident to argue the point that a fan isolator in an outside zone protected by an rcd would comply.

Jason, was being pedantic but there is a difference between something being uncommon and something being not allowed. under the 16th edition some sparks used to look at me like a lunatic when i asked them where the requirement was to fit an rcd on a shower circuit other than manufacturers instructions. Back to switch gear in outside zones you would have to adhere to regs stating that eqpt must be fit for purpose according to its environment or location. But i would feel confident to argue the point that a fan isolator in an outside zone protected by an rcd would comply.

exactly, so as most bathrooms the ceiling heiight is above 2.25m so outside zones, (now not that i've done it myself but i have seen it many times), why can't fan isolator go in the ceiling in the bathroom?

Spot on there Hilly, I may mount it at ceiling level within the airing cupboard and it's well within the zones.This 17th is has got people thing to say the least.

The regs are what you must judge your work by, not the opinions of others..

Have to agree there, however, it doesn't hurt to ask sometimes!

Good point about the isolator in the ceiling tho.

But is it suitable for its surroundings with steam etc?

The regs are what you must judge your work by, not the opinions of others, except my area engineer!

There are lots of things that the regs will technically allow, but are considered to be bad practice, thats why i asked the question.

(sorry if that comes across as arsey its not supposed to be)

Reply to Bathroom Downlights Rcd Fcu in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock