Discuss Bathroom Extract Fan Query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Newbie90

Hi all,

Just a quick one.

Replacing an extract fan and installing a 12v one with transformer.

Does the fan require an isolator or can it be left without? If so, I will mount it in the loft next to the transformer.

Also, as it's only 12v on the load side of transformer, can it be wired in 1/1.5mm flex or is it best to stick to 1.5mm t&e?

Thanks

isolator in the loft is fine. flex is best for the 12V to the fan. remember that the current @ 12V is 20 x what it is at 240V and select your flex size accordingly.

Hi all,

Just a quick one.

Replacing an extract fan and installing a 12v one with transformer.

Does the fan require an isolator or can it be left without? If so, I will mount it in the loft next to the transformer.

Also, as it's only 12v on the load side of transformer, can it be wired in 1/1.5mm flex or is it best to stick to 1.5mm t&e?

Thanks
What do the manufacturers instructions say?

No need to install a 12v fan as fans and shower units are exempt from limitations in bathroom zones do just install a 230v instead less to go wrong!

i have found that the 12V units, with the timer controls boxed with the tranny seem to be of better build quality and the one i've fitted are virtually silent. not like the 240V in line pig i've got in the shower room. sounds like the luftwaffe taking off to bomb britain.

he's talking through his arse. if it's in zone 1 it's OK as long as it's suitable for the environment. he's trying to get it fitted iout of zones because he's a plonker.

As above. A 230V fan is fine in zone one as long as it is IPX4 at least. Wave section 701 at him and tell him to be quiet.
Thanks telectrix and Andy 78 maybe he knows as much as another building inspector who said we had only fitted a grill to the ceiling .when we had fitted an in line fan, he hadn't heard of those.

well, that makes it easier to feed the fan from the shower, dunnit?

Reply to Bathroom Extract Fan Query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net