Discuss Bathroom extraction fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

lknights1987

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just bought a 2 bed first floor flat with loft access (it’s ex council flat) there is no extraction fan fitted in the bathroom. The only thing that there is is an air vent.

The bathroom is about 7ft x 7ft so quite small.

Is it ok to remove air vent and install an extractor in its place?

Also in the kitchen I have a hood but no where for the air to go other then to the ceiling once hood is turned on. What is the best way to extract the hot air when cooking? Even when the windows are wide open the kitchen is like a steam room!

We rented a new build flat afew years ago and the kitchenette was in the middle (no window) the cooker hood fan had absolutely no ducting at all.
It just sucked air up and blow it out the top :)
This was a brand spanking new build flats built around the mid 2000s
Every single flat had the same issue.
Oh and the bathroom had no window and no fan either just an ip drum light...

We rented a new build flat afew years ago and the kitchenette was in the middle (no window) the cooker hood fan had absolutely no ducting at all.
It just sucked air up and blow it out the top :)
This was a brand spanking new build flats built around the mid 2000s
Every single flat had the same issue.
Oh and the bathroom had no window and no fan either just an ip drum light...
This can be quite common, some extractors come with an additional filter that supposed to take out the free radicals (particles/smells from cooker fumes) and reintroduce the "cleaner" air back into the environment. Bit like a C.A.T on a car. Personally I much prefer the fumes to be vented outside and aid towards global warming. :p

The bathroom is about 7ft x 7ft so quite small.

Is it ok to remove air vent and install an extractor in its place?

Just as a bit of additional info. Bathrooms have Zones and depending on where the extractor fan is fitted depends on the IP Rating the extractor fan needs to have.
Where about, relative to the bath, is the extractor fan being fitted? Please give dimensions.
Also the wiring for the fan will have to have RCD protection. Does you consumer unit have an RCD?
This work may fall under Part P.
[automerge]1567592050[/automerge]
Just to make it simpler for you mate. Below is a screen shot of the different zones.
What zone is your extractor fan going in?

Bathroom extraction fan 1567592043832 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
This can be quite common, some extractors come with an additional filter that supposed to take out the free radicals (particles/smells from cooker fumes) and reintroduce the "cleaner" air back into the environment. Bit like a C.A.T on a car. Personally I much prefer the fumes to be vented outside and aid towards global warming. :p

I have seen these type of hoods but believe me this hood had no such filters , it was quite literally sucking air in and blowing it straight out the top....

Ideally the cooker hood should be vented externally
In your case possibly best through the roof via a ducting and a roof vent tile
I have known of them to be just ducted into the attic space ;) most roofs have vent tiles built in for purpose of the timbers to breath, so at least there was extraction to the outside of sorts but its own vent tile or direct through the kitchen wall may be your correct action
Other than that,the internal carbon filters should reduce vapours

If you can afford it.. the best solution would be a MVHR system. This would extract the moist and smelly air from the bathroom and kitchen and send it outside... at the same time bringing in fresh air from outside... but in the middle is a heat exchanger, so it's thermally efficient. That's what I'd be doing if it was my flat !

Last few kitchens I’ve had have been installed with cooker hoods with built in filters that just recirculate with no outside vent. No issues at all. Wife does get upset occasionally with the Saturday morning fry up ;) Probably need to make a call dependent on how much smelly, smokey cooking you’ll be doing.

Last few kitchens I’ve had have been installed with cooker hoods with built in filters that just recirculate with no outside vent. No issues at all. Wife does get upset occasionally with the Saturday morning fry up ;) Probably need to make a call dependent on how much smelly, smokey cooking you’ll be doing.
And dishwasher the filters !

Reply to Bathroom extraction fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock