Discuss Bathroom extractor fan isolation switch issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

higgs123

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I need some advice should I try to fix this isolation switch for the extractor fan or buy a new one. The switch part of the product has come off. It seems it was previously attached into the plate using some resin of some sort. Over time it became loose and has come off. I can manually insert it back but the switching does not happen now as I believe due to the resin having come off it is not forming a proper contact with the circuit below it in the wall plate. Can it be fixed easily or not?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
regards
Higgs

Attachments

• IMG_20191113_135808.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20191113_135817.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20191113_135842.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20191113_141635.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20191113_141647.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20191113_141705.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 25
It is pretty much never worth trying to repair accessories such as switches and sockets, just bin it and get a new one. Even if you did manage to repair it, it might well fail again soon after.

It looks like a LAP make sold by Screwfix (brushed steel); this brand is not always noted as the most reliable, but maybe you need to match other accessories from the same range.

It is pretty much never worth trying to repair accessories such as switches and sockets, just bin it and get a new one. Even if you did manage to repair it, it might well fail again soon after.

It looks like a LAP make sold by Screwfix (brushed steel); this brand is not always noted as the most reliable, but maybe you need to match other accessories from the same range.
Hi
Thanks for your reply which brand would you recommend as a replacement? as long as they do a flat plate in brushed steel I should be ok I assume.

The one you have looks BG which can be touch and go with quality so I would go for something like this. You would need to ensure the back box is at least 35mm deep.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/crabt...HpiJwUPebKjSZH4_zBNQtlUZwEL6a-KxoCLQ0QAvD_BwE
Or this which is more brushed steel.

Last edited:
The one you have looks BG which can be touch and go with quality so I would go for something like this. You would need to ensure the back box is at least 35mm deep.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/crabt...HpiJwUPebKjSZH4_zBNQtlUZwEL6a-KxoCLQ0QAvD_BwE
Or this which is more brushed steel.
Thanks for the advice. I will purchase one of the above.

Hi
I need some advice should I try to fix this isolation switch for the extractor fan or buy a new one. The switch part of the product has come off. It seems it was previously attached into the plate using some resin of some sort. Over time it became loose and has come off. I can manually insert it back but the switching does not happen now as I believe due to the resin having come off it is not forming a proper contact with the circuit below it in the wall plate. Can it be fixed easily or not?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
regards
Higgs
U need to comply with manufacturers recommendations as they overrule bs7671 so a fused isolater maybe required

Reply to Bathroom extractor fan isolation switch issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net