Discuss Bathroom Extractor fan isolator location in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My client wants a wall fitted extractor fan for their bathroom. Normally i fit the isolator outside above the door but the client is against this. Is there any reason why it can not go above the fan at high level so zone 3.
I can not find anything saying you can not but i can not find anything saying i can apart from zone 3 needs to be IP 21.

I was under the impression that all switches, in a domestic situation had to be placed at a maximum high of 1200mm to the top of the switch from finished floor level.
How about a pulled core fan isolator.

If it is for isolation for maintenance purposes then it must be located so it remains in the control of the person working, or it needs to be capable of being locked once isolated.

Outside the room would not generally comply with this requirement to my mind.

There has been no zone 3 in a bathroom since 2008.

That is why I feel it is important to install a fuse connection unit as well as an isolator on bath room fans, then if you are working on it you are able to remove the fuse to lower the risk of the circuit be turned on,
[automerge]1576445615[/automerge]

Attachments

• Bathroom Extractor fan isolator location image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 28
My client wants a wall fitted extractor fan for their bathroom. Normally i fit the isolator outside above the door but the client is against this. Is there any reason why it can not go above the fan at high level so zone 3.
I can not find anything saying you can not but i can not find anything saying i can apart from zone 3 needs to be IP 21.

Why do you fit them above the door? That makes them an awful eyesore and so obvious.

Why not just fit it at socket height the same as you would the isolator for anything else in the bathroom like a towel rail or jacuzzi bath?

That is why I feel it is important to install a fuse connection unit as well as an isolator on bath room fans, then if you are working on it you are able to remove the fuse to lower the risk of the circuit be turned on,
[automerge]1576445615[/automerge]

Or use a lockable fan isolator.

Run the bathroom on its own dedicated circuit, that way any work to be done in the room (lights, fans, shaver socket, towel rail etc) gets locked off at the board.
bad idea. you'd be working on the fan without light. OK in daylight hours if there's a window. then again, what are head torches for.?

Inside the loo, up high, near the door...so you can reach in and switch it off so the fan doesn't run while you take a midnight pee

Have to say although it's getting stick on here I often put them high level above the light switch on the wall (level with top of architrave) as a preference, I think it looks neat and is less likely to get switched off by accident. As for it being turned on while you are working on the fan I can't see that really unless you're working down the other end of a massive bathroom and there's an idiot on the prowl!

Reply to Bathroom Extractor fan isolator location in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock