Discuss Bathroom extractor fan - please help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Lucy Godlinson

Hi everyone,

I had an extractor fan fitted in my downstairs toilet yesterday. The fan turns on when the light turns on. The problem is that the fan runs for about 15 minutes after I turn the light off. I only need it to run for a minute or 2.

According to the instructions the electrician left me, the timer can be adjusted by removing the fan grille and using a screwdriver to turn the adjuster clockwise.

However, it also states that the timer can only be adjusted before or during installation.

Does this mean that I can't adjust it now? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Lucy, welcome to the forum !
Yes the fan over-run time can still be adjusted. Hopefully the instructions have a drawing showing what the adjuster looks like and where it is. When you take the cover off it will expose the circuit board and the power connections which may be live. If you are unsure how to proceed safely, please seek further assistance.

Hi Lucy, welcome to the forum !
Yes the fan over-run time can still be adjusted. Hopefully the instructions have a drawing showing what the adjuster looks like and where it is. When you take the cover off it will expose the circuit board and the power connections which may be live. If you are unsure how to proceed safely, please seek further assistance.
Hi Wilko, thanks for your swift reply! Good to know that it can still be adjusted. There isn't a diagram in the instructions - what should I be looking for when I take the cover off? Also, will I need to turn power off from the fuse box, or can I just make sure the light switch is off? Many thanks.

Because you have a timer feature you will have a permanent live connection - so please isolate at the fuseboard - or call the installer who fitted it and ask them to do it...

Because you have a timer feature you will have a permanent live connection - so please isolate at the fuseboard - or call the installer who fitted it and ask them to do it...
Thank you Murdoch

No worries - there will be a permanent live inside the fan which is needed to run the motor after the light is off. It will need to be turned off at the fuse box. Not all fans are the same, but here is a pic that will hopefully help. Please be careful and don't touch anything else, even if you think it's all off.

Bathroom extractor fan - please help IMG_0446.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

No worries - there will be a permanent live inside the fan which is needed to run the motor after the light is off. It will need to be turned off at the fuse box. Not all fans are the same, but here is a pic that will hopefully help. Please be careful and don't touch anything else, even if you think it's all off.

View attachment 34420
Thanks Wilko, this is really helpful!

Reply to Bathroom extractor fan - please help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock