Discuss Bathroom Extractor Next to Shower Head in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing an Eicr and the 230v timed class 1 bathroom extractor is less than 200mm next to the shower head.

I see this as a C2 and would insist on it being changed to at least a 12v fan or even better a new location.

Welcome any thoughts

There are some fans that are rated for such a zone at 230v. But if not then I agree with your coding. Is it actually in zone 1? Personally I would defo go for the 12v fan as standard in such a situation.

Is it zone 1 or high enough to be out of zones?
What IPX rating does the fan have?

IPX4 rated mains voltage ventilation equipment would be allowed in zone 1.

I have no information on the fan, i dont think its a zone 1 fan as its open and has a pull cord.. change for zone 1 fan.. sometimes you just know, but just need that someone to bounce ideas off. Thanks

I entirely share your concerns about that.
Generally stuff in zone 1 would need to be IPX4. I'd argue that this is easily exposed to water jets and the extra sentence in the regs applies, so even though it's in zone 1 the fan should be IPX5 rated.

It doesn't 'look' as though it's built to withstand water jets from any direction, and I'd agree with C2.

I entirely share your concerns about that.
Generally stuff in zone 1 would need to be IPX4. I'd argue that this is easily exposed to water jets and the extra sentence in the regs applies, so even though it's in zone 1 the fan should be IPX5 rated.

It doesn't 'look' as though it's built to withstand water jets from any direction, and I'd agree with C2.
Thanks Tim,
Totally agree, definitely dosn't withstand water jets. i know that some manufactures zone 1 fan yet still have guidance to be 300mm from water jets, so IPX5 is good call for that

Devils advocate…. C3, improvement recommended.

Definitely zone 1 if it’s directly above the shower tray….

How “potentially dangerous” is it?

It gets wet, it should trip the rcd…. Unless that’s not in place??

Reading the reg, and the IP ratings, I think 'spray from showers' isn't as severe as 'water jets'. Otherwise we'd need IPX5 shower units?
It's a good point that some showers are IPX4.
I noticed the previous sentence in the regs mentioned "spray from showers" when talking about shaver sockets in zone 2.

Yet (ignoring regs a minute) if we also think about IPX4 being "water splashed against the enclosure" and IPX5 being "water sprayed in jets" I think this does fall somewhere in the middle. The shower could be accidentally aimed straight into the fan quite easily which exceeds splashing really.

Maybe it's wrong to say IPX5 is required by regs, and it more highlights that the fan in question can't be IPX4. Looking at other IPX4 fans online they all look a lot more able to withstand shower spray than the one above!

Devils advocate…. C3, improvement recommended.

Definitely zone 1 if it’s directly above the shower tray….

How “potentially dangerous” is it?

It gets wet, it should trip the rcd…. Unless that’s not in place??
The thing is, I wouldn’t want to be asked after the event why I didn’t C2 it!

Naked human plus water plus accessory in silly place without design to keep water away from 230v…

I take the view the RCD if present is (likely) additional protection and I can’t guarantee the basic or fault protection would protect someone.

Even for zone 1 in a sensible place I’m 99% sure it falls short of the required IP rating.

Not saying you are wrong, just listing a few counter-arguments!

Reply to Bathroom Extractor Next to Shower Head in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net