Discuss Bathroom fan, 3 pole isolation or fused spur? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Penance

Just picked up a timed fan and 3 pole switch. Fan is 4" 20 watt. I was going to run 3 core and earth from 3 plate light via 3 pole switch and to fan as per normal.
Just read manufacturers instructions and it says must be a double pole fused (3 amp) spur. Can't see the logic to that.

What would you guys do?
I know it's maybe a daft question but this will be part of my assessment.

Manufacturers instructions should be followed
It would cost them to put one in the fan, so they put it in the instructions instead,its cheaper :rolleyes:

6 amp mcb and 3 amp fuse will do battle to see which would go first,so probable waste of time

Anyway,if you insist on using a light to operate a fan :eek: (I personally never ever do so )then what you could do is use the switched fused spur to supply the light and your 3 pole islostor for the fan off the light as you descibed

Des, how do you do it then?

Des, it's a small downstairs bog with no window so as far as I'm aware it needs a timed extractor that operates when the room is used. So a fan run from the light seems the obvious solution no?
Interested in how you'd do it.

So then, I should put in a dp fcu then?
If so should I go light > fcu > fan or would you put the 3 pole switch between fcu and fan?

Seperate pull cord tucked away in the corner
My veiw is who wants a ventilation unit vibrating the rafters in the middle of the night when all they wanted to do was have a quick leak

but which feed to the fan do you fuse at 3A? the permanent or the switched or both. only way to do both is to fuse the permanent line to the light.

why. what happens when you go for a dump in the day, and don't switch the light on?

Tel, that was what I thought too, one fuse and two lines so do I ---- a coin.

No window in the room so even a daytime download would need the light on unless you wipe in brail!

Instructions are pretty generic to all fan models and I wonder if the dp fcu should only apply to the 2 wire switched fan?

You can get time delayed fans that come on after a couple of minutes, so if your just popping in and out they don't activate but when activated they act like a standard timer fan.

but which feed to the fan do you fuse at 3A? the permanent or the switched or both. only way to do both is to fuse the permanent line to the light.

Feed the swiched fused spur 3 amp to load side
From the load side,feed the fan permant live,from the load side also, feed the pull cord
The pull cord will manually switch the fan and switching it off will set the timer in motion

All connections made in the S/f spur

Feed the swiched fused spur 3 amp to load side
From the load side,feed the fan permant live,from the load side also, feed the pull cord
The pull cord will manually switch the fan and switching it off will set the timer in motion

All connections made in the S/f spur
that's fine des, as long as you're not feeding switched live from the light.

Reply to Bathroom fan, 3 pole isolation or fused spur? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock