Discuss Bathroom Fan/Light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MAD SPARK

Dont know if anyones ever seen one of those fans with a downlight built in to it........??.. I cant find a link to one of the web.

Anyway. It has a transformer for the light and then the fan just gets connected seperatly 230V....

Does the fan need to have a fan isolator? It will be on its own independant switch on a simple on/off and the light incorporated in it will come on with the rest of the downlights.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers:)

Theres been changes to bathroom areas in the 17th edition i am sure you need to fit an isolator anyway as per the 16th but if its in the new zone 1 it may have to be RCD protected as well. hope this helps

Why have the fan on a separate switch? Why not get one with an over-run timer and have it come on with the lights. that way, when someone takes a shower there's no risk of them not using the fan.

The fan isolator is for isolation for maintainance purposes, not for general on/off switching.

It should be three pole, to break the line, switched line, and neutral.

I used to fit them in the loft next to the fan, or if there was no loft space, above the bathroom door on the outside.

You cant get them with a run over timer......not those fans anyway.

Is it still necessary for an isolator?

I dont want them coming on with the lights its well annoying. Getting up in the middle of the night, turn the lights on and the fan comes on - not really my thing.

I know it is ok to have it on it's own switch because i've seen it done in new builds - also i have never seen fan isolators in new builds if the fans are on there own switch???...have things changed?

My understanding of it is that to comply with the 17th it needs to be protected by RCD.
also there is only a need for an "isolation switch" if there is no window in the room it is being fitted.

hope this helps.

Thats brilliant, Thankyou

It will be RCD protected anyway because the switch wires etc in the rest of the circuit are buried in the wall at less than 50mm

Also, switching the fan on with the lights ain't too useful at this time of the year when it is so light at night / in morning and lights may not be needed.

Also, switching the fan on with the lights ain't too useful at this time of the year when it is so light at night / in morning and lights may not be needed.

Good point although I'm picturing my downstairs shower room with no windows and a need for a light on every visit.

Good point re going the bog too. Again though, it's no issue in a downstairs shower room where there is no noise intrusion into the bedrooms.

For some reason I had a picture of my own house in my head!

My understanding of it is that to comply with the 17th it needs to be protected by RCD.
also there is only a need for an "isolation switch" if there is no window in the room it is being fitted.

hope this helps.

Just curious, and not having a dig at anyone, but what does having a window/no window in the room have to do with fan isolators?

Theres been changes to bathroom areas in the 17th edition i am sure you need to fit an isolator anyway as per the 16th but if its in the new zone 1 it may have to be RCD protected as well. hope this helps

There is no 'new zone 1'

Zones 0,1 & 2 are the same, just zone 3 has gone

and the requirement for all circuits in the bathroom to be an RCD is irellevant to zones

Yeah thats it.

I've asked this question elsewhere on the web and there seems to be so many different answers. Some say yes you definetly have to and others say only if it has no window and some say it needs a switched fused spur - it also says this in the instructions.???????????

HELP....i dont know which answer is right.. It would be better if i need no isolator at all then i can just go ahead as i wanted.

if someone can shed some light on this with some form of regulation or something it would be great.:eek:

also the lights are also wired in twin and earth shall i put a small junction box on and wire the fan and the transformer in flex?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

Does a bathroom fan have to have a triple pole isolator ? does it have to be outside the room ? House I was at today had no means of isolating the Fan so when testing i could not do bathroom lights as extractor was buried in wall and not easy to access and break wires to isolate.I guess I could remove wires from lights and kill it that way.I have to test lighting circuit so I have to kill fan, otherwise motor winding will give strange readings with insulation resistance.
What is the requirement for a fan ?,is it required by part P to be isolated ? the bathroom only has a skylight no window for info.
Thanks,

hope this helps.

that is ridiculous! windows?????!! get a grip man.

Yeah thats it.

I've asked this question elsewhere on the web and there seems to be so many different answers. Some say yes you definetly have to and others say only if it has no window and some say it needs a switched fused spur - it also says this in the instructions.???????????

HELP....i dont know which answer is right.. It would be better if i need no isolator at all then i can just go ahead as i wanted.

if someone can shed some light on this with some form of regulation or something it would be great.:eek:

also the lights are also wired in twin and earth shall i put a small junction box on and wire the fan and the transformer in flex?

whoever is talking about windows and wiring regulations in the same sentence IS OFF THERE HEAD.

its this simple my friend....

1. if its a timer fan ( mounted in loft ) it needs a 3 pole isolator located outside zones 1 and 2 or in the loft / outside etc

2. if its a timer fan with light you need the 3 pole isolator AND 30mA RCD protection ( bath regs )

3. if its a timer fan in the wall you need 3 pole isolator and RCD

4. if its a fan in the wall that only comes on with the light and has no perm supply then you only need RCD protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know if anyones ever seen one of those fans with a downlight built in to it........??.. I cant find a link to one of the web.

Anyway. It has a transformer for the light and then the fan just gets connected seperatly 230V....

Does the fan need to have a fan isolator? It will be on its own independant switch on a simple on/off and the light incorporated in it will come on with the rest of the downlights.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers:)

Their sold through screwfix/elecricfix...see their web site, they often have PDF files to download

Yeah thats it.

The requirement in the instuctions for a fused spur maybe because the fan has to be protected by a 3 amp fuse?

4. if its a fan in the wall that only comes on with the light and has no perm supply then you only need RCD protection.

Not realy truth, all fans need in isolator. One with no permenant supply will just need a double pole isolator but it still needs one.

screw fix
Manrose Shower Light & Extractor Fan Kit 100mm - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

& put an isolator on it u can always turn the timer down on it so it dont run so long

Last edited:

Reply to Bathroom Fan/Light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock