Discuss bathroom fan RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

martysparky

I was reading on another forum the other day and there was much confusion about if a SELV circuit fir a bathroom should be RCD protected.

Some said it should, some said it does not need it because its 12 volt.

I'm wondering if the difference is if the fan is located in the equipotential zone or not.

I would like to hear some views on this and how to connect the SELV / RCDFCU....

Just to be clear.

Thank you

It is indeed a minefield... and lots of grey areas to play with.
Which zone are you intending fitting the fan into..?

My thought is that regardless of zone you are extending a circuit, not all of which is selv so therefore the part you are working on needs to be up to current standard.

RCBO for whole circuit, pointless just rcd for the extended bit.

Last edited:
I do a lot of work in bathrooms with lv fans. I usually rcd, either by using an RCBO or moving the breaker on to the rcd side, the circuit thats feeding the fan.

Not sure that if its a Separated ELV supply a fault would cause an imbalance in phase and neutral supplying the transformer for the RCD to detect?

but unless you're using the old fan feed with existing isolator you probaby need one to cover your wiring anyway.

SELV does stand for seperated extra low voltage and is what it says, basically the circuit is kept seperated from low voltage circuits(230) and is not connected to earth.

I have allways hated this subject and would appreciate someone giving a better deffinition!

I believe mains doorbells with transformer at the CU are selv circuits.

FELV (functional extra low voltage) is an extra low voltage system (up to 50v ac, 120v dc) without all of the protective measures applied to PELV or SELV. p24. For more detailed information on FELV see 411.7, 612.4.4
PELV (protective extra low voltage) is an extra low voltage system (up to 50v ac, 120v dc) with a connection to earth. p27 For more detailed information on PELV see 414.1, 612.4.2
SELV (separated extra low voltage) is an extra low voltage system (up to 50v ac, 120v dc) with no connection to earth. p29. For more detailed information on SELV see 414.1, 612.4.1

Last edited:
Cheers for all the replies I guess the general consensus is to RCD all in a bathroom even SELV but am still in doubt if the extra safety cost is really needed on a ELV as I understood it that ELV was the protective measure.

e.g. The lighting circit in the bathroom does not need RCD protection because USUALLY, and only when it is, the fitting is located outside the equipotential zone and is protected by the correct IP rating for Part P.

Any body agree?

ALL circuits in a bathroom require 30mA RCD protection regardless of what type and where they are.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
ALL circuits in a bathroom require 30mA RCD protection regardless of what type and where they are.

:)

Thats interesting because what I just quoted is what I was told by the instructor on my EAL and Part P course.

I am in agreement with the above as you have stated.

Does that mean the best way to wire the upstairs light circuit is to have the bathroom at the end and run the light from a RCD/FCU if upstairs ring is not RCD from CCU?

Cant seem to find any reg to RCD a light circuit but am confused about that as new build require switches to be mounted under 1200 mm. Low enough for a Disabled person to reach out of a chairr but also low enough for a child to switch with wet hands.

Thats interesting because what I just quoted is what I was told by the instructor on my EAL and Part P course.

That worries me slightly.....

Cant seem to find any reg to RCD a light circuit

Well unless all the switch drops are buried more then 50mm deep in the wall or enclosed in earthed metallic conduit the cables will require RCD protection anyway. By and large all circuits require RCD protection nowadays for one reason or another, hence the introduction of the dual RCD CU.

Well unless all the switch drops are buried more then 50mm deep in the wall or enclosed in earthed metallic conduit the cables will require RCD protection anyway. By and large all circuits require RCD protection nowadays for one reason or another, hence the introduction of the dual RCD CU.

Yes your right of course but I was assuming 50mm deep in regulated zones.

Point taken and thanks

Dual RCD wherever possible then?

Reply to bathroom fan RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock