Discuss bathroom fan timer problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

melonade

DIY
Reaction score
Hello dear forum,

I have a ceiling fan that seems to work alright when i switch it on. However when i put an electronic timer switch, instead of a physical switch, the fan does not work, the switch circuit does not seem to be powered, i.e. the leds are off, the buttons do not seem to have any effect. I know that the timer is not the problem since i have tried it to switch a different fan, which works. i tried changing the fan start capacitor, since it seems to be the most common problem, but it doesn't work either. This behavior started after distribution power outage. The device i use is similar to this one:

View: https://www.amazon.ca/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-9590AW-5-Button/dp/B00BFKZAYU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=timer+switch+aspire+9590&qid=1575754312&s=hi&sr=1-1-fkmr0

I am sure that everything is wired correctly, i.e. switch input to live wire, output to fan. I would like to know any ideas of something else to try, since accessing and replacing the fan would require destroying part of the ceiling.

by the way, i just did another test, and measured the switch voltage output when the fan is disconnected, and i get 24V, and the timer switch still doesn't work. That would make me assume that the switch is broken but the same exact switch works by somewhere else in my house, i.e. if i do the same test by unplugging the ceiling fan from the other bathroom, the timer circuit is still on and i get 120V.

Last edited:
I assume the fan works if the timer is removed and the live wire connected to the fan wire? It is possible the model of fan you have is not a suitable load for this no-neutral timer.

actually, at this point, i think it's relevant to not even consider the fan as a part of the problem anymore; although i shall keep this thread instead of making a new one. i just did the following test:

using the timer to switch 120V on/off with no load (open circuit). the switch works somewhere in my house and not somewhere else (bathroom where the fan is). i.e.

case that doesn't work (bathroom 1):
switch powering no load, switch stays unpowered, no led indicators.

case that works (bathroom 2):
switch powering no load, i get 120V when turning the switch on and measuring voltage, random 19V when turning the switch off.

it is the exact same switch in both cases

The load provided by the fan is important as it is required to charge the timer circuit. Charging takes about 5 minutes, as stated in the manual.

The load provided by the fan is important as it is required to charge the timer circuit. Charging takes about 5 minutes, as stated in the manual.

i considered that, but im connecting the switch in bathroom 2 with no load, and it powers instantly. I connect the switch in bathroom 1 with load, it stays off indefinitely
[automerge]1575762964[/automerge]
Here is some new relevant information. I measured the current with both loads, fan from bathroom 1 sinks ~370mA, and fan from bathroom 2 sinks ~190mA. I would assume that there is a safety mechanism in the switch that prevents it from powering on?

Although the datasheet they provide with the timer switch is specified for 15A.
Specifications:
-single pole
-no neutral required
-15A (1800W) 120 V/AC 60 Hz
-For incandescent, Magnetic Low Voltage (MLV), Electronic Low Voltage (ELV), Fluorescent, Compact Fluorescent, LED Motors up to 1/4 HP

Last edited:
alright the problem seems to be 100% confirmed not a fan problem. I tried the switch with different loads instead (incandescent light) and i get exactly the same result. The switch is turning on in bathroom 2 but not in bathroom 1

Reply to bathroom fan timer problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock