Discuss Bathroom fan wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to replace an existing fan which has 3 wires and earth. They are red blue yellow. The new fan i have needs switched live, live and neutral. I have a fluke voltage pen so can i just identify which is the switched live cable by putting switch on and seeing if pen bleeps and then turning switch off and seeing it doesnt bleep? Live should be detected by the pen bleeping? Neutral will be the only wire that does not bleep when using the pen?

Do you have a pic of the existing fan connections. Please say you haven't already removed it :)
Voltage pens whilst useful are extremely unreliable.

Do you have a pic of the existing fan connections. Please say you haven't already removed it :)
Voltage pens whilst useful are extremely unreliable.

See attached. I turned the fan on then turned off the relevant fuse and the fuse box and then used the fluke detector to double check. Still havent removed it though. I thought fluke is well regarded?

Attachments

• Bathroom fan wiring 20191019_145400 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191019_145400.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 15
Are the terminals marked on your new fan or a model/part no.

The general connection will be blue, neutral. Red, live and yellow, switched live.
ENSURE IT IS ISOLATED and let us know if this is correct.

The general connection will be blue, neutral. Red, live and yellow, switched live.
ENSURE IT IS ISOLATED and let us know if this is correct.
It has an isolater switch that means i can run the lights only but at the moment its set so that when i switch on it turns on lights and fan. If i take the answer you gave and connect new fan can anything bad happen if the wires are in the wrong place ? I googled but cannot find this general connection colour you mention...is there any where online this is written?

99% certain I am correct. Do you know the make and model no of the existing fan.

99% certain I am correct. Do you know the make and model no of the existing fan.
Its manrose fan with humidistat but i have looked all over it and no sign of a model number written on it.

Thank you so much. Can i test this using the fluke pen to be double sure as per below method?

identify which is the switched live cable by putting switch on and seeing if pen bleeps and then turning switch off and seeing it doesnt bleep? Live should be detected by the pen bleeping? Neutral will be the only wire that does not bleep when using the pen

I can't recommend the volt pen as a suitable means of identifying the wires they are too unreliable.

Reply to Bathroom fan wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock