Discuss bathroom halogen downlights - new to me need help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
The bathroom in my bungalow is fitted with ceiling down lights but my knowledge of these is far from good. There are three lamps in the ceiling but one lamp doesn’t last long and I don’t know why.

Has each light got its own transformer or does one transformer provide all three?

The lamp I have used is an ECO Halogen MR16 12V 35W 38° (according to the label). I believe this to be what the other two lamps are.

Also, can anyone guide me as to where to go to learn more about ceiling down lights as I was born before WW2 and am still mentally stuck on tungsten!

I’d be grateful for any help or advice.

The MR16 lamps at 12V typically have individual transformers for each light, but sometimes a larger transformer is used for 2 or more lights.

The transformers can fail, the lamp holders can overheat and burn out, and the connection blocks between them can also overheat and burn out. It doesn't help if someone leaves the transformer or the cables lying over a hot halogen lamp. Lamps lasting a short while is often a symptom of bad lamp holder contacts.

Oh, and once in a while I come across a burnt joist where the lamp has been sitting right next to it - the worst I found was a joist that looked more like BBQ charcoal.

I'd suggest you change or get changed the fittings to GU10 230V LED fittings. The fittings should be rated for the bathroom location. No transformers to fail, no high current lamp holders to fail. And the lamp runs at maybe one tenth the heat of the halogen and doesn't get too hot to touch.

Agree with SJD

"The bathroom in my bungalow "
They also do not like being covered in loft insulation

In a bathroom I prefer to fit sealed LED downlights as I find that the IP65 GU10 fittings dont give the spread of light.

Robus ones and Aurora Enlite ones from Screwfix are reasonably priced.

Thanks both,

I'll check the fittings and where and how they're fitted. I'll look into changing the lamps for LEDs. The ceiling down lights were already fitted when we moved in about six years ago and I've changed this lamp about four times (it's not easy so I use a lot of Anglo-Saxon) in that period so I'd better learn more about what I've got.

I think the first thing is to remove the compete fitting out of the ceiling and see what I've got and then check for the transformer(s).

Thanks again.

If you pull downlights out of the ceiling you stand a good chance of damaging the plasterwork round the hole. Better to examine what is going on from the loft. You'll be able to see the wiring, transformers, etc.
As above, you may find that the light that often fails is completely covered with insulation and just cooks itself to death.

Thanks for that tip - I'll start there. I intended to make a note of what I can see.

I think that all I have to do is remove the transformer(s) and connect each incoming mains to suitable terminal blocks and, from there, connect the new lamp. Sounds simple enough - famous last words!

Let's see what I have first.

I think that all I have to do is remove the transformer(s) and connect each incoming mains to suitable terminal blocks and, from there, connect the new lamp. Sounds simple enough - famous last words!
Plus, the mains lamps are different to the 12v ones, so you’ll need new lamp connectors too.

I checked the lights this morning to see if they might be covered with insulation. They may well be but I can't see because of the blankets, duvets and goodness knows what else in boxes my wife has stacked on top! I may have found the problem!

Lofts and sheds are a man's domain. Your wife needs to realise this.

Does that sound borderline sexist?
not at all. women should be confined to kitchen and bedroom ( with a few notable exceptions, e.g. sparkychick, before i get flak. :D:D:D.).

not at all. women should be confined to kitchen and bedroom ( with a few notable exceptions, e.g. sparkychick, before i get flak. :D:D:D.).

I'm expecting a reprimand from SC at any time to be honest. Luckily I think she's busy with other things currently.

Is this the time to ask, "why are women's feet smaller than men's?" Answer "So, they can get nearer the sink!". I tell my wife that but I still get to do the washing-up!

Is this the time to ask, "why are women's feet smaller than men's?" Answer "So, they can get nearer the sink!". I tell my wife that but I still get to do the washing-up!
you need to give her 2 black eyes..... oops, you've already told her twice.

Reply to bathroom halogen downlights - new to me need help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock